Notify
Tools

Too much powder in .222
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted
Howdy,

I just finished a small lot of only 25 rounds to test a new (to me) bullet in my 2 . 222 rifles. The bullet is a 50 grain Speer TNT. I realized after loading these, that I accidentally loaded 22.9 grains of H4198. When re-checking myself, I find that the maximum is somewhere around 2 grains less powder than this.

I would be firing these in a 1970 era, Rem.700 Varmint w/ heavy barrel.

QUESTION: Should I discard these or go ahead and try a couple while watching for pressure signs? I really don't want to pull the bullets and start over on this small batch.

THANKS in advance, "Bo"

Thank goodness my grandfather put me in the woods as a child !

www.TableRockAngler.com

Posts: 113 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 20 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
It's a simple process to pull the bullets, especially considering the small amount you are talking about.

That's what I would do.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your numbers are accurate and the max load of H4198 is 20.9 gains your talking approx an 8 percent of total volume overload, I wouldn't shoot it without having worked up to it very slowly. Plus which a lot of the faster powders like H4198 which I use a lot in other things aren't the most forgiving in over loads. At the least you'll probably ruin your cases, at the worse ...???
If you don't have a bullet puller and you load you'll need one sooner or later. In this case I'd say sooner. I'm with Bobby, why risk it? Pull em. I'd recommend and RCBS collet puller just cause mine works so well but there are undoubtedly others out there that do just fine as well.
If in doubt side with safety in my opinion.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
an inertia bullet puller/hammer is no chore at all and works a boat load better and easier...

If you are worried, I'd load a few and point them at a safe backstop with my face not near the bolt when I pulled the trigger..

I'd predict that you'd have a popped primer at most...

but if one ever doubts a load, then dissassemble them is the best procedure...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted Hide Post
THANKS a bundle, fellows !!

You may have helped me save some new brass, or more.

I have an inertia bullet puller but have only used it on rimmed revolver shells in the past. I guess it is time to break it out and knock out some .222 bullets. I guess I was just being too lazy and did not want to tear apart what I painstakingly put together.

Not sure what I did, but may have been reading the max loads for .223, which were on the same page. At any rate, I discovered this when I noticed my balance sitting at 22.9 grains.

THANKS again !! "Bo"

www.TableRockAngler.com

Posts: 113 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 20 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, if you are a reloader you will use a pulled puller sooner or later.

While working up some subsonic loads, I was a little fast. I used the bullet puller and dropped the bullets in the less accurate pile. I will use them for plinking practice.

One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Ddunn.

In fact, been a constant reloader since 1969 of many calibers and gauges. I have a bullet puller but never used it on rimless cartridges............... UNTIL TODAY !! I pulled those bullets on 25 .222 cartridges and dumped everything. They are now reloaded with some 3 grains less powder. The bullets did not appear to be scarred but they will not be used for serious work.

THANKS............... "Bo"

www.TableRockAngler.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
You did the right thinbg already. According to Quickload you'd have generated a pressure of 5124 bar, the maximum for that cartridge is 3700 bar.

Your suggestion of 19.9 grain H4198 would be safe at 3326 bar pressure.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For some reason the .222 is not rated for pressure as high as the later rounds on the same case head.
I have fired many rounds using 21 grains of IMR 4198 and the 55 grain Sierra. However they flatten the primers significantly and I use the 7 1/2 Remington primer. Pulling the bullets is the best deal. My days of hot rodding the .222 are long past. Stick to what the manuals recommend.
Work on your loading habits so your puller does not have to get used.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BoCash3:
In fact, been a constant reloader since 1969 of many calibers and gauges. I have a bullet puller but never used it on rimless cartridges............... UNTIL TODAY !!

How did you get away with that?

One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddunn:
quote:
Originally posted by BoCash3:
In fact, been a constant reloader since 1969 of many calibers and gauges. I have a bullet puller but never used it on rimless cartridges............... UNTIL TODAY !!

How did you get away with that?

Ha, DDun.

Until now, I had never had a "rimless" reloading mistake................

I had only pulled a few bullets in the past in rimmed revolver shells for various reasons.

On this particular incident, I believe I was looking at the .223 recipe when loading .222 shells. The magazine-type reloading manual by "H" company had both calibers on the same page, but the ".222" heading for those respective loads begin on the previous page. I think my eyes wandered down below the .223 heading when reading the powder amount.

Anyhow, I got it solved thanks to the persistant friends on this board who convinced me not to risk touching off those "overloads."

Y'all have a great week.

"Bo"

www.TableRockAngler.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wasn't thinking mistakes, I was thinking cartridges that don't go to max.

I am not sure what to say. I have had several. Some I attribute to tight/match chambers, some I think were primer/powder/brass combo that generated higher than expected pressures.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the 70's I had a Remmington 788 in 222 Remmington. My loads, with a 52/53 grain bullet were:
19.0 grains of 4198
22.5 Ball C-2
Both shot only one hole.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DUK:
You did the right thing already.
Your suggestion of 19.9 grain H4198 would be safe at 3326 bar pressure.

Safe ? Yes, but it still may be be a tad higher in your rifle than is smart. The suggested max. I found is 19.5gr. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:
For some reason the .222 is not rated for pressure as high as the later rounds on the same case head.

MOSTLY Because of some of the weaker actions it was chambered in.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What weaker actions?
The original action it was designed for was the 722 Remington.
Any weaker actions came after the cartridge not before.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote