New
Find
Notify
Tools

The end of a 10 year quest!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been a small caliber junkie for years. Joined the VHA around '95 and have every copy of Small Caliber news. Had Virgin Valley make contender barrels in 17 ackley hornet and Tac 20 back around '98 or 2000.
I got my copy of Todd Kindler's "Terrific Twenties" when it first came out. I've lusted after a Cooper Model 21 Varmint chambered in 20 Vartarg since at least 2000. Couldn't afford a Cooper back then. Since then I purchased a number of Coopers. However, I have certain pre-conditions. They have to be used, and I have to be able to buy them at about 60% of retail. Consequently that limits my options. Finally, scored one that fit the bill this year. Well if nothing else, I'm patient.
Here is my Cooper Model 21 in 20 Vartarg and some 3 shot groups at 100 yds. I tried three different load densities with each of the different powders. It was close, but here are some of the best groups.
I think this one's a keeper.

GWB

Test target @ 50 yds!

RL-7

TAC

H-4198

Lil Gun
I'm thinking of now playing with the OAL on the Tac and Lil Gun loads.

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats GW...

that is one beautiful little rifle and turning in sweet little groups adds to the joy of it..

enjoy it in good health!!!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats GW!!

Another win!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
That Cooper was certainly worth the wait. Was what I wanted as well but the NZ agent was uncoerative so built mine on an XR100. Still lust after the Cooper though.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
Nothing more to say than: tu2

Very nice rig...!

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
And my first thought was...

"Dude! You finally got a Porcupine!".

Seriously though, nice rifle and grouping!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
And my first thought was...

"Dude! You finally got a Porcupine!".

Seriously though, nice rifle and grouping!

Funny you should mention the porcupine. In 1999, the lease I hunted in Rocksprings Tx. had a number of porcupines. I had been on three different other leases between 2000, when we left that lease and last year when I took this porky. I had been at my taxidermists a week before I shot him. He had a porky mount that struck my fancy. I mentioned to him that the next opportunity I had I was going to take one for a full body mount. Now I hadn't seen one in about 10 years. Well sure enough, I was at my current lease, which I have been on for five years, about a week later. I'd never seen a porcupine there during the five years we've been there. This porky was ambling across the road when I spotted him. By time I could get a pistol out and start chasing him, he'd climbed up a tree. I nailed him with a 44 special. So, I guess you could actually say I scored a double. Ten yrs. on the 20 vartarg and 10 years on the "porky".
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
A beautiful rifle and a great shooter, too! You have inspired me to remain patient. I'm not so good at being patient. I do pray for it. But i want it now... Smiler

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who'd have known a Commie could make such an accurate rifle! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Cooper 38 in 22 Hornet on it's way now. The 220 Swift is a bit loud for neighborhood Woodchucks...this one will be my close-range sniper.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,
I've got the 38 classic in 22 hornet also. It's a tack driver. I've had four different hornets and it is the most consistent and accurate. I have no doubt you'll love yours. One other that is pretty neat is a 17 hebee in the 38 classic. The hebee is a shortened 218 bee. Its just a little hotter that the 17 ackley hornet.
Best
GWB

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BECoole:
Who'd have known a Commie could make such an accurate rifle! Big Grin

Anyone who watched the Olympics in the 1950s and '60s, when rifle shooting without skis was still an Olympic sport? Big Grin

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Porkys are a common table fare in the Alaskan bush.

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't even have to look hard to find a tooth pick.
Best
GWB