THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Quick Load info on 260 Remington load?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick Load info on 260 Remington load?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted
I would like to know what QL would say about a youth load of 260 Rem brass. 160 Hornady RN bullet at 2.818 oal, Win LR primer and 25.2 of Varget.
Thanks in advance for any information you might have.
dmw

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
I would like to know what QL would say about a youth load of 260 Rem brass. 160 Hornady RN bullet at 2.818 oal, Win LR primer and 25.2 of Varget.
Thanks in advance for any information you might have.
dmw
What's the barrel length?

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
22 inches. Sorry about that.
dmw

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
This is what QL thinks about your load.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I don't use quickload..

but you want some youth loads with a 160 grain bullet...

25 to 30 grains of 4198 ( either one), Rl 7, 3031 or H 322 have proved to very accurate in my 3 rifles..with ANY bullet weight used..

30 grains of 3031 with a 120 grain ballistic tip proved to be a quite pleasant to shoot load for the woods range hunting I was doing this year...

in a gun that shoots most loads very accurately... this load was notable in both of mine hunting rifles...the third one is more a varmint target heavy barrel number ( Rem VLS)..

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the loads and yes it is for a Youth load. I have Varget and thought it might work ok. I shot the 25.2 grain load yesterday and it was mild indeed. Maybe too mild but I won't let the boy shot past 100 yards anyway. Probably 75 or less and the 160 RN should work. I think I have a litte bit of 4198 too and will try your load Seafire2.
best regards
dmw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd second seafire's suggestion to use lighter bullets to reduce recoil even further. If you stick with the 160 you can reduce the velocity as low as 2200 fps and still match the performance of the classic 6.5 Mannlicher. Our friend, the later Slingster, used low velocity 160s in his 260 Chingring Scout to harvest several whitetails quite neatly a few years back. Good of you to start your new hunter with a light kicking but effective combination. Good hunting!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since that load is a good 10 grains less than any listed minimum, I would not use it. Go with Seafire and use lighter bullets. You risk the chance of secondary ignition with your load.

Just my $.02

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
30 grains of 3031 with a 120 grain ballistic tip proved to be a quite pleasant to shoot load for the woods range hunting I was doing this year...

Although the 3031 load is better than the Varget load, it’s only 53% of maximum operating pressure.

Seafire, you're pretty observant, I didn’t even think about Fury01 looking for a reduced load. Cool

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
A search of the powder stocks found no 4198 but a trip to the store might tomorrow. I want the 160 Rn because even with limited expansion, it will do the job I am sure.
I tried the Varget with the Hogdon 4895 60% rule in mind. Varget is a Fine grain extruded powder of close burn rate to 4895 and ignites easily. I however will go the 4198 route as it is faster and Seafire's data I am sure has been tested and found to be good.
dmw

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
If you have the choices on the store shelf...

for accuracy in all three of my 260s, and 30 grain loads:
first place goes to RL 7
Second place goes to IMR's 4198
Third place goes to H 4198...

however all three are much better for accuracy and consistency than the Hodgdon reduced H 4895 loads...

I for one, don't know why Hodgdon is pushing those, when they distribute powders that are a heck of a lot more accurate....

my bet is that they got the data for free from ADI and are just passing it on to sell powder..

while the velocity is predictable... the accuracy is not...that is why I HATE H 4895...
one load will be a tack driver and move the charge up or down 2/10s of a grain and all of a sudden you got from minute of gnat to minute of elephant...

my source for a lot of these lower loads were gained and expanded upon by me.. but a lot of the basis came out of Lyman Cast Bullet Manuals..as I always started low and worked up..

so none of this was done by blank speculation..

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Thanks Seafire. I'll keep that in mind while shopping tomorrow. Choices are still pretty limited just walking in on any given day around here.
I will ask you because I think you'll give me a straight answer: do you fear a 60-70% load of Varget?
dmw

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
while the velocity is predictable... the accuracy is not...that is why I HATE H 4895...
I don’t like it either.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Seafire. I'll keep that in mind while shopping tomorrow. Choices are still pretty limited just walking in on any given day around here.
I will ask you because I think you'll give me a straight answer: do you fear a 60-70% load of Varget?
dmw

Myself? NOt really...

have your experiences any delayed ignition?

if not, and the accuracy was good...

I'd stay with it if it is giving you what you want..

that detonation everyone worries about frequently is usually a concern with powders in the 4350 and slower burn rates..

Ackley addressed it in his book and also so did Vernon Speer.. they were not able to duplicate the phenominum in the lab.. although they admit to it happening..

I've always thought it had to do with something funky with the primers they were using in those reduced loads with slow powders..

I do know that faster powders act much more favorably to reduced loads tho.. and are much less finicky...

using a heavy bullet with Varget.. you can push the velocity up some if you are concerned..

I've never bought into this concept you need a case 90% or more full.. for accuracy and safety..

myself... I burn a lot of 4198, SR 4759, RL 7, Blue Dot, H 322 and 3031 in my rifles with loads that are in the 30/30 to 300 Savage velocity range...from 22 calibers to 338 calibers...

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:

dmw

Doing a little searching on some of my reload manuals....

the 260 in metric numbers would be the 6.5 x 51mm...

The Italian Carcano's metric caliber is 6.5 x 52 mm....

In Hornady's manual under the 160 grain RN for the Carcarno, they list a starting load of 25.1 grains of Varget for an MV of 1700 fps..

So you starting charge of 25.2 grains of Varget with a 160 RN would be totally safe...and so there is a reference to support it..

for references sake also, the same source lists a starting load of 23.9 grains of H 4895 with the same bullet...

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Seafire2,
Thank you sir.
dmw

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
The creator's of Quick Load could make a lot more money by having the software run on a website and charging a yearly or monthly subscriber fee.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Seafire,
The little boy shot 7 rounds today sitting with Sticks at 50 yards and put them 5 of them into a horizontal 2" and vertical 1/4". He had two flyers that I called watching the trigger only. One high and one low by about an 1.5" both ways. He was happy with the "kick back" he said and declared his deer rifle to be named Scorpion so I guess we will hunt some deer with the Varget load.
dmw

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
well Fury, best of luck to both you and the little shaver on his hunt...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire: Any velocities on the 30 gr of RL7? I have a few Pounds of it for my 45-70. I never thought of it for my 260 Rem Skinny Barrel Mountain rifle. I am a fan of your work and appreciate all that you offer in the way of R&D, Testing, and Reporting.
Thanks rc

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
RC:

just seeing this..

my load data is stored somewhere I can't find..

give me a little time..I'll go out and chronograph some... but give me some time..
it has started the winter rain season...like today they are expecting about an inch and a half of rain just today...

is there any bullet weights you are interested in?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting the 129 hornady and the 130 ab and berger's. Looking for the perfect storm...
As a sidenote, I am getting much more accuracy from the 700 mountain skinny barrel than I expected. Even with the factory tip pressure still on the stock it will shoot .5's consistantly. Barrel heating is the "group breaker" with this gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, the winter is over and I am back looking for Seafire (and anyone else that wants to join into the fun). Seafire, last November you were posting about 6.5 loads with 30 grain loads with RL7 and 3031 loads. I have alot of 3031 and RL 7 (45-70 addict). I never even thought about these in my 260 rem. I have the 1:9 twist factory barrel, so, I really don't think I can go any heavier that the 140 gr bullets. I have the 130 ABs, 130 Bergers, 129 ssts as my "heavy" bullets. I use the 120 BT and the 120 pro hunters, then drop all the way down to the 85 gr Sierra Varmenteers. Any "best picks" with RL-7 and/or 3031 would be appreciated. Accuracy, economy, and fun are my primary considerations. Predictable terminal performance in my world is based on velocity, bullet type, and accuracy.

Thanks in advance.
rc