Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger International
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents

I have a chance to pick up a new Ruger with the full stock stainless in a 250 Savage. Price here in Canada will be over $1000.00

I have recently heard that there can be accuracy issues with these full stock rifles from Ruger?

You fellows have ant experience with these rifles?

Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've had a couple over the years, never had any problems, but full length stocks to take a bit of watching over. #1 thing is to make sure the barrel channel is finished so moisture doesn't get into the wood & cause undue pressures. #2 when you do get it wet at all, make sure you take the bbl action out of the stock and dry everything. sounds like a nice piece

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:
Gents

I have a chance to pick up a new Ruger with the full stock stainless in a 250 Savage. Price here in Canada will be over $1000.00

I have recently heard that there can be accuracy issues with these full stock rifles from Ruger?

Thanks Greg

I free-floated my Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine barrels. It worked out very well accuracy-wise. IF the rifle you're looking at is a No.1 RSI, the two piece stock setup makes it work very much the same as those No.1's that have a regular forend.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:
Gents

Thanks Greg

I have three Ruger RSI rifles, all in .308 Win. It just worked out that way. Every one I bought was considered inaccurate by their previous owners. In a sense, they were correct. Turned out each rife was very fussy about what went down the barrel, and only one load with the 165 gr. Speer hot-Core ever shot well in those rifles. Part of the problem lies in the metal cap at the tip of the forearm. I used a dremel tool to relieve the curve than touched the barrel and relieved the sides of the cap where it touched the barrel. One rifle went from 1.5" at best to almost one inch and the other two now do 1.25".
The suggestion so remove the wood from the gun and seal the inside is a damn good one. Ruger, IMHO, does a flat out shitty job of sealing the wood on their rifle, or maybe I should say no sealing at all. Don't forget to take off that silly butt pad and seal under it as well.
With all that said, my RSI in .308 is one of my all time favorite rifles and usually the one I take hunting for deer.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great find. Nice light and handy, great mild cartridge for deer hunting.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
I love my RSI in .308. I don't know if I like it $1000. That's double the US price.

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I'd jump on that, regardless of it being a tack driver or not...

that rifle will only appreciate in value....

it is more than capable of minute of whitetail and mule deer...

and has a lot of class!

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would buy that rifle. My RSI in 308 shoots 150 grain speers over 42 grains of RL15 into .7 inches routinely.

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
This may just be one of those exceptions which can happen when the luck of the draw happens to be good luck...

In the last 15 years I have had three different Ruger M 77-RSI rifles. All three shot better with no fiddling at all than most of my other factory rifles shot even with tuning added.

Every one of those three RSIs shot under MOA right out of the box with just about any decent load I used.

Somehow, I suspect the full-length wood and metal fore-end cap actually HELPED their accuracy. At least they were more accurate than almost all of the out-of the-box standard Ruger M77R, and M77RS rifles I've owned.

I still have one RSI M77 in .308 Winchester, and it is a real little dream to carry and shoot. I have other rifles I take hunting much more often (because I don't want to ding-up the nice forend wood of the RSI), but if it wasn't a real pet, I'd feel pretty well armed for hunting anything with it as long as I got a chance to choose my first shot at any animal that might eat or stomp me.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
now you have got me to thinking I want a 250 Savage!

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas I have sent in my deposit, FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote