Find
Notify
Tools

160 gr 6.5
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
I have a 265RCBS in a model 70 with a stainless barrel that I have only ever used 120 and 140 grainers in, has anyone been using 160's for 600+yds

Roger

Sorry its not a very good pic Frowner

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
High BC 140 or 142 grainers would be the better choice.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sierra quite making the old 155 Match king, due to lack of sales..

however for long range, actually the 123 grain Match King is actually supposed to be flatter shooting based on high B/C, and faster velocity potential.

Lapua also has some excellent match bullets available.

for the 6.5 bore, 600 plus yards is not a real problem...

I have a 6.5 x 57 with a 28 barrel, on a model 70 action...actually got to shoot it casually along side a couple of FBI sniper guys one their day off, and they were practicing with their Gov't Issue 300 Win Mags shooting 180 grain Match bullets and Ballistic Tips.

My 6.5 with 120 grain match bullets shot flatter substantially to 800 meters. also had a lot less recoil to deal with.

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
for the heavies in the 6.5 you need a 1 in 8 twist.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Yuma, what's the twist rate of the barrel on your 6.5?

I have a 1:8.5" twist on my 6.5x284 and it shoots the 142 grain SMK to 1,000 yards easily.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....honestly don't know the twist rate, the gun was a gift from a gunsmith mate of mine for helping him out when he was sick.
I'll find out and get back to you Big Grin

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is a 265RCBS?

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 260remguy:
What is a 265RCBS?

Jeff

It was also called the 6.5-06 RCBS

One of the many 30.06 based variants.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote