THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: New Savage 40 varmint rifle

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: New Savage 40 varmint rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
this thread got me checking out the savage catalog on this rifle. It does look like a single shot version of the old 340 models.

However, with a one in 9 twist, and what looks like to be a great laminate stock on it, and an accu trigger, and the price,
..... this rifle looks like just the ticket to me for a kid learning varmint shooting.

I think it is going to be like the 788 Remington: Looked like crap, feels like crap: shoots better than a lot of custom rifles.

This one however looks pretty decent to me. Competitive with the New England Arms break open single shots. I think it is an excellent marketing move on Savage's part in my book. I don't think they have much to loose and if it takes off, might be the door opener for a line of single shots, at a decent price. Lord knows there exists a market that will buy that any day.

Give it a chance.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well to me the thing looks like a beefy version of their rimfire, but the tubular reciever is much longer (this is supposed to add to action stiffness, and with no cuts in the reciever for magazine this should be one stout little action!) and the barrel is free floated. In my opinion the accutrigger is just one of those things that isnt a necessity, just one more thing that can go wrong.

With a price tag of $375 MSRP (I like the hornet) it seems like a steal with the laminate stock. I am really crossing my fingers for a sporter weight contour barrel and a walnut stock at around 6 lbs.

Who knows maybe they will go for broke and chamber a few in oddities like 25-20, .218 bee or .30 carbine just to give those not-so-potent cartridges another chance?