THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .257 Roberts on Axis deer...?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.257 Roberts on Axis deer...?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
Ive seen a lot of posts trying to justify the 257 robts on deer, elk, Moose and black bear and for what reason I have no clue..

the Roberts will send a 120 gr. bullet down the road at the same velocity the 270 sends a 130, does 10 grs of lead make any difference? surely not..I, personally have done the same with the little 250-3000 and never lost one animal ( not a moose as yet)

Ive seen a lot of big game killed efficiently and cleanly with the 257 Robts over the years, its a very impressive little gun, much like the 7x57 in that respect.

Possibly it is because so many folks have bought into bigger is better and don't think that accurate shot placement, regardless of the caliber is what is most important.

Darn Randall am I agreeing with you or did you finally buy into what I've been saying for years?

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
No, I haven't bought into anything.

I know .222's/.223's will/can and do kill deer and hogs. I have seen it done multiple times.

I even killed a white tail deer with a .22 Hornet.

I just do not believe that ALL hunters are capable of placing each and every shot as accurately as needs to be done with the smaller calibers.

The added bullet weight and diameter of a 243 or.257 simply gives a hunter a slight edge if their shot is not placed exactly where it needs to be.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Better make your shooting skills are up to snuff as they say because with a 257 Robt possibly the only problem might be the loose nut behind the butt.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a 250-300 on this young buck on Perry Bushong's ranch out of Mountain Home.

I'm down about 40 lbs since then.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
butchlambert--Down about 40 pounds since shooting the axis deer. Is that to say axis deer is a good diet food?

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
butchlambert--Down about 40 pounds since shooting the axis deer. Is that to say axis deer is a good diet food?

Wonderful meat! The meat even looses weight. Used a recommended place in Burnet I think. A friend of a friend brought the meat to me a few weeks later. 35 lbs in a Playmate chest. Somebody else enjoyed that wonderful meat.Last several years I've used Kuby's in Dallas. Wish I had brought it back and used them, but Oh well!
I don't want to take shots for diabetes, so I really watch what I'm eating and just take a couple pills. It works.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
butch--Ive never eaten axis but have heard it is very good. Have you tried moose and elk to give a comparison? To my surprise, I found moose to be very good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
butch--Ive never eaten axis but have heard it is very good. Have you tried moose and elk to give a comparison? To my surprise, I found moose to be very good.

Used to live in Alaska and I love moose. Axis is better and Elk will follow those 2 In my opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
butch--I too lived in Alaska. If Axis better than moose, it is good. I too rate elk behind moose.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Used to live in Alaska and I love moose. Axis is better and Elk will follow those 2 In my opinion.

Having hunted and eaten all 3, I place moose first with axis second and elk third.

They are all DAMN good.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randall, thanks for that feedback. I place caribou way behind deer and maybe a little ahead of pronghorn, yet I know of one guy that places caribou ahead of moose.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO as far as eating is concerned; Axis doe, elk cow, cow moose, Have never eaten caribou cow, but caribou bulls killed during the rut are horrible. Moose bulls would rank higher than elk bulls. Have never eaten Axis buck but have heard that they are good. Axis doe are excellent.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried caribou several times when living in Alaska. I put it with Auodad, about the worst meet that I ever tried. I know that chances were somebody messed up in some of the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
butch--I think it is the caribou meat and not someone messing up. The one I shot was a young one and I did the butchering and consider myself to be very clean about it. I think everything should have been ideal, but it was gamey.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Randall, thanks for that feedback. I place caribou way behind deer and maybe a little ahead of pronghorn, yet I know of one guy that places caribou ahead of moose.

Well since this has veered off topic somewhat, from what Lora and I have experienced, once passed elk we like mule deer and pronghorn over white tail with pronghorn a little better than white tail. A lot of folks don't like the sage taste of pronghorn but we do.

We like white tail and it maybe just a case of having access to it the most, the others just seem better.

Odd aspects that have came up were the bear I killed in Idaho. It went about 150 maybe 160 pounds and was probably a young animal, but it was excellent eating. Everyonme we gave meat to said it was great, but I have talked to so many folks thast said they coiuldn't stand bear meat. As a side note Lora rendered up 8 quarts of lard from that bear and just recently opened up the last jar and it still makes some of the best pie crusts we have ever ate and I got that bear in 2010.

As for caribou, I have read many places that it was the best venison on the planet. I shot both a Woodland and a central Canada Barren Ground and we did not find either any better than white tail, if as good as white tail. I would not shoot another one.

One of the big surprises for us was the Musk Ox I shot, its meat was really tasty.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Randall, this has veered off, so I'll veer even more. You mentioned Lora making pie crusts, so I'm guessing she makes biscuits. My dad made the best biscuits I have ever eaten and his recipe was unbelievably simple. Despite the simplicity, I've never been able to duplicate his, maybe close.
Here's how he did it: (I can't give exact measurements as he didn't measure) Mix self rising flour, buttermilk, and salt into a moist dough. (too moist add flour, too dry add buttermilk) Form the biscuits by hand and place onto a greased platter. Then turn them over so that the tops and bottoms get greased. Bake.

Anyone that tries this please give feedback. To keep it on topic if they don't turn out good, you could use them for targets for a .257 Roberts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
She used to make bread and biscuits, and was exceedingly good at both.

Problem is I only eat bread of any kind as a last resort.

Lora is a really great cook but most of her talent is wasted on me because I can make a meal on meat alone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randall---You don't eat biscuits? You must not be a real Texan.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Sir, I am as Texan as it gets but just never developed a taste for bread of any kind.

Just meat, meat and potatoes or other vegetables I have no problem with.

But biscuits, dinner rolls, light bread, nope I never developed a liking for filler.

I can go to one of the All You Can Eat buffets and make the whole meal nothing but MEAT!

posted Hide Post
quote:
.....Despite the simplicity, I've never been able to duplicate his, maybe close.
Here's how he did it: (I can't give exact measurements as he didn't measure) Mix self rising flour, buttermilk, and salt into a moist dough. (too moist add flour, too dry add buttermilk) Form the biscuits by hand and place onto a greased platter. Then turn them over so that the tops and bottoms get greased. Bake.

Anyone that tries this please give feedback. To keep it on topic if they don't turn out good, you could use them for targets for a .257 Roberts.

I haven’t tried your recipe, but my family’s basic “cat head” biscuit recipe is similar to this one but with lard as a base to be “cut” into the flour, before adding milk...and to stay on topic Big Grin , none of my three quarterbores will chamber one of these biscuits, though they are partial to Sierra products.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
No Sir, I am as Texan as it gets but just never developed a taste for bread of any kind.

Just meat, meat and potatoes or other vegetables I have no problem with.

But biscuits, dinner rolls, light bread, nope I never developed a liking for filler.

I can go to one of the All You Can Eat buffets and make the whole meal nothing but MEAT!

Been a long time since I heard the term "light bread". I'm not a big bread fan. It is used by me to hold the ingredients of a sandwich. If I could do it without the bread when driving down the highway, I would.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mom and Dad always called it Light Bread and I never give it any thought.

Funny thing was, my Mom and Dad were somewhat older parents. I was born in 1950, Mom was 34 and Dad was 54.

My Mom thought I would never get married so she taught me a good bit about cooking and the oddest thing was that she taught me how to make corn bread, which to this day I can not stand, but her and Dad claimed I made better corn bread than she did.

I never knew and I damn sure wasn't going to taste either to find out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to say the best meat I ever had was a pronghorn from central MT, years ago. We cut them up at the ranch, which had excellent facilities. They were not gamey nor tasted of Sage, which surprised us all later on! (Of course, shooting it w/ my .257 Bob may have been the cause, ha, ha..!)
Happy New Year to all...
Brittman

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brittman:
Gentlemen,

I have an Axis deer hunt in TX this Sept. I have never hunted them and the agent says my rifle will be fine. Will it be enough?
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thank you!
Brittman

Plenty enough as long as you put the bullet where it belongs, otherwise not even a .300 will do the job. Eeker

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Plenty enough as long as you put the bullet where it belongs, otherwise not even a .300 will do the job.

BINGO!!!!! And that applies to ANY anmimal, ANY of us will ever hunt, regardless of caliber or bullet!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You don't hear light bread too often. What about sweet milk? Old timers used that to differentiate from buttermilk. Another you hear all time is hot water heater. It doesn't heat hot water---hot water doesn't need heating. It's a water heater.
To stay on topic, if you get milk or hot water on your .257 Roberts, you should wipe it down as soon as possible. And yes bullet placement is the trump.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, We used to say sweet milk and still say hot water heater.
Back on topic. This is one of my 257 Roberts and it ain't a #1.

My 722 that I purchased from Mike Walker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
'Bob' and I have killed an elk, a mule deer, 4 hogs and 6 whitetailed bucks this season. The elk, mule deer and one hog were killed using 115/120gr bullets with all the rest being killed with 100gr TSX's and NP's. The elk went 50-75 yds, everything else less than 35 yds. Our bucks dress out around 170 lbs so a little lighter than an average mature axis. You do your part...Bob will do his Wink.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
In March I will be going on my 2nd axis deer hunt (hopefully get one this time). Still can't decide on which rifle or caliber to bring. The first hunt was 7 days of seeing none...although I did see Oryx, Blackbuck, Whitetail and Fallow.

This hunt I have the chance at either a Fallow or Axis but I really want an Axis. 7mm/08 or .280 may get the nod if I don't take a .308/.30-06

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 7/08 or 280 will work great. Where or what area are you hunting?

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
We will be in Eldorado, some ranch is beginning to do guided hunts but is not well known yet so the prices aren't outrageous.

Near San Angelo we have a large herd of free range axis but they are difficult to pattern. We are finding sheds now out there

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
We will be in Eldorado, some ranch is beginning to do guided hunts but is not well known yet so the prices aren't outrageous.

Near San Angelo we have a large herd of free range axis but they are difficult to pattern. We are finding sheds now out there

Good luck. They are fun to hunt and a beautiful animal.