New
Find
Notify
Tools

222 Vixen vs a 788
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys I have a 788 in 222 that is an OK shooter, and I am looking at an opportunity at a mid 70's Vixen Sako deluxe, fellow wants $1200.00 says it has only ever seen 40 rounds. Damn tempting.
Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a love affair on going with the Vixen, and would have a tough time turning down the rifle you are considering.
YMMV however.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a decent price on the Vixen, if it's in good shape. Round count is one thing, dings and rust etc are another.
If it's been well cared for, I'd buy it.
I was lucky enough to buy a Sako barreled action (new) in 222 several years ago. I put it in a swirly black/white Mcmillian stock. Pretty gun and very good shooter.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by OK shooter? My 788 in .222Rem is an excellent shooter. What kind of groups are you getting, and what do you expect from the Sako?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
What do you mean by OK shooter? My 788 in .222Rem is an excellent shooter. What kind of groups are you getting, and what do you expect from the Sako?
Peter.

Peter
I don't know what to expect from the Sako. I have a Vixen in 223 that is a great shooter but no more so than my CZ 527. My 788 isn't a tack driver, but perhaps I haven't found a sweet load for it yet.
Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
Thats a decent price on the Vixen, if it's in good shape. Round count is one thing, dings and rust etc are another.
If it's been well cared for, I'd buy it.
I was lucky enough to buy a Sako barreled action (new) in 222 several years ago. I put it in a swirly black/white Mcmillian stock. Pretty gun and very good shooter.

The gun is pretty much minty, one tiny mark on the stock and shiny bluing all over.
thanks Greg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Sako wins over the 788 any day and every day. Hell, the Remington 788 shouldn't be considered a real rifle! Big Grin

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rolltop:
The Sako wins over the 788 any day and every day. Hell, the Remington 788 shouldn't be considered a real rifle! Big Grin

Oh, the pain of it all...talking about my beloved 788's in such a horrible way! Wink

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Sako!

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I know prices have been skyrocketing, but the figures I'm hearing these days are right next to terrifying. I sold a mint Sako Vixen in .223 just 6 or 7 years ago for $300.

And I bought a Sako .222 new and unfired just three years ago for under $700. It is now fired (of course) and shoots very, very well. Under 1/2" is no problem from the bench with the right load.

Anyway, though I like M788s as good solid, accurate, working guns, IF I intended to keep the gun pretty much indefinitely, I'd upgrade to the Sako. It is so much more comfortable to carry in the field that I'd get it even if it was no more accurate than the 788.

I also suspect it will probably always sell for more if you get hard up for a financial bailout some day, too.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 09 November 2009 04:13 Hide Post
I know prices have been skyrocketing, but the figures I'm hearing these days are right next to terrifying.

truer words were never spoken

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
quote:
Posted 09 November 2009 04:13 Hide Post
I know prices have been skyrocketing, but the figures I'm hearing these days are right next to terrifying.

truer words were never spoken

A new Sako here in Canada if they even still make a 222 would be right next to $1800.00. This rifle has been for sale now for a few months and the guy started out asking $1500 for it, and is now down to 1200.
Thanks Fellows
Greg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you comparing? Consider that the 788 sold new for around $75.00, what did the Vixen sell for new?
I am curious as to what you call an okay shooter also? If the 788 has had minimal care and it is like every other 788 I've owned, it will probably shoot the pants off of the Vixen but if you are buying it for looks or bragging rights, then it a no brainer. Get the Vixen and be sure and leave the price tag on it so's your friends will be impressed. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Wizard78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stillbeeman:
I am curious as to what you call an okay shooter also? If the 788 has had minimal care and it is like every other 788 I've owned, it will probably shoot the pants off of the Vixen ......

Ouch!! If you have a Remmie that can shoot the pants off a Sako then you have a 1 in a 1,000 gun. I don't have a Vixen but would put my Rhiihimaki 222 against any factory stock Remmie 788, any day. Factory ammo and winner walks away with both guns. Now,,, if you want to just say that a Remmie 788 shoots good and costs much less money that a Sako, I'll agree with. you.

Posts: 1574 | Location: SE Florida | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The 788s do generally shoot very well. For their price, they shot outstandingly well in their day.

I've owned both, and for me the Remmies shot really well off the bench. But in the field, I always did better with the Sakos. They were so much better feeling and handier in my mitts that I always got better "practical accuracy" with the Sakos.

Now, for a really odd comparison, I also have a cheapo Brno break-action .222 which cost just over $100 only 3+ years ago, which will shoot on a par with both the Remmie and the Sako....even though its "as-delivered" trigger pull was like 11+ pounds. Its pull rapidly "wore" down to about 5.5 pounds, which is still as heavy as a freighter sled pulled by only one dog. It takes a lot of discipline to ignore the trigger-pull and keep the sight picture "good", but it really will shoot! Must be something about that cartridge (which was once the King of Benchrest).

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are probably going to want to get rid of the 788...............give me a shout! Big Grin

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a mint, pre-Garcia (if the date is right) Deluxe Sako Vixen, $1,200 CAD is not unreasonable, particularly if it comes with a quality set of rings. You can't buy that rifle now, but its much more pedestrian replacement in a current production Sako will cost you half-again that much or more.

Two things to look out for in an older Sako: The recoil pad can turn to mush (or alternately, to crumbs) even when the rest of the gun is in "unfired" condition; the other thing is that occassionally you'll find checking in the finish as with some older Brownings. About 50% of the pads went bad, so that isn't a huge downgrade of the rifle so long as any replacement pad appropriate and is professionally installed. Checked finish is much less common and downgrades the rifle to whatever extent it offends the buyer's eye.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
For a mint, pre-Garcia (if the date is right) Deluxe Sako Vixen, $1,200 CAD is not unreasonable, particularly if it comes with a quality set of rings. You can't buy that rifle now, but its much more pedestrian replacement in a current production Sako will cost you half-again that much or more.

Two things to look out for in an older Sako: The recoil pad can turn to mush (or alternately, to crumbs) even when the rest of the gun is in "unfired" condition; the other thing is that occassionally you'll find checking in the finish as with some older Brownings. About 50% of the pads went bad, so that isn't a huge downgrade of the rifle so long as any replacement pad appropriate and is professionally installed. Checked finish is much less common and downgrades the rifle to whatever extent it offends the buyer's eye.

Stone

What do you mean by checked finish?
I checked the photos again and the pad is in good shape. The actual descripiton is an A1 Deluxe and it comes with Sako rings and an old Banner scope in a 3-9.
Thanks Greg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So

I asked the 222 owner if the rifle has Vixen engraved on the barrel, he says no.
Now my 223 says Vixen on the barrel, this rifle is an A1 deluxe not a Vixen. Sheeesh. FS

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is an A-1 then it is from the early to mid-1980s, not the mid-70's. A gun that recent likely won't show any "checking" (crazing or cracking) of the finish (nor do very many older Sakos).

Vixen was a name generally assigned to rifles built on the small Sako action, whether the L461 or the A-1. Some had it on the gun, while others only had it on the box. The gun in question is certainly a "Vixen".

The A-1 differs from the L461 in only minor ways. The most noticeable is the shrouded cocking piece with the underslung cocking indicator. The A-1 will have a slightly longer bolt handle, and some A-1's had a synthetic rather than metal magazine follower. The wood on the A-1 Deluxes was a little more carefully selected for attractive grain while the L461 Deluxe wood was sometimes a bit plain for an upscale rifle.

From your description, my assessment is that it is a reasonable buy at $1,200 CAD.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much Stone, I'll get back to the fellow.
Regards Greg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No-brainer. BUY!

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well so much for brains, I was at my favorite shop today and they just got in a big consignment and what do I find, a Cooper 57 in 22 LR, for $400.00 less than a brand new one, with lovely wood. Not a mark on it, I could not help myself, tag says unfired, not for long. FS

posted Hide Post
My Not Gun Shoots Less than 1/2 inch groups w/old federal(red box), 3/8 of an inch w/hornady v-max & with handloads just a tick over .250 groups.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went with the Kimber of oregon instead of the Vixen, which by the way wasn't a Vixen but an A1. FS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW here is a Sako l461 Vixen, it is chambered in 222 rem.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one sweet looking rifle, hopefully I can get my Kimber to shoot as good as a Vixen. FS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both, shoot only the 788 now. hope to sell my #314 6ppc Vixen in about 5 or 10 years for part one of my sons collage cost. my point is nobody will EVER pay $1200 for any 788 I'm hoping for $2000 Hold both and then you will know!

Posts: 67 | Location: Possum Hollow, IN | Registered: 09 February 2009Reply With Quote