Find
Notify
Tools

which 6.5-06 brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
Thinking of rechambering to 6.5-06 using my milled n lightened Rem 700 action. I love Lapua brass and hear good things about Norma. Preferences and would necking up or down?

26" barrel?

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
FWIW,

I use Lapua brass just because that's what I could get, but both are top shelf and would serve you equally well. I'd buy whatever was available and the cheapest.

Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neck up 25-06 brass unless you want proper head stamped brass and I prefer Winchester-Western and no more than 24" barrel.

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rolltop:
Neck up 25-06 brass unless you want proper head stamped brass.

+1

I use winchester brass, sizes just like once fired.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carolina Man
posted Hide Post
Use Win. 270 brass. I find it easier to neck down rather then up. I would stay with the 26 barrel. Thats a open country rifle so barrel length is not a factor.

Aaron

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau

Posts: 135 | Location: Hurricane Alley North Carolina | Registered: 26 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I agree with necking down the 270 Winchester. I happen to use Remington Brass, as I had a bunch, and I use Winchester brass exclusivley in my 270's. I don't believe it makes a hoot of a difference which you use, except the headstamp.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I neck up Rem or Win 25-06 brass rather than necking down 270 brass. Avoids having to trim the longer 270 case. I then solidly color and mark each case head with an indelible Sharpy with blue ink to indicate it is not as head stamped and lastly I use separate colored plastic ammo cases for every 30-06 based cartridge that I shoot and reload to help prevent missuse of any caliber in a wrong rifle. I use a blue Sharpie and a blue ammo case for the 6.5-06. That is the only incorrectly head stamped ammo that I load /shoot anymore.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carolina Man
posted Hide Post
Wheather up or down even with new brass all should be trimed to a standard length. Still the same amount of work.

Aaron

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau

Posts: 135 | Location: Hurricane Alley North Carolina | Registered: 26 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Carolina, makes a good point. At least by using the 270 cases, your cartridge lengths will all be the same after trimming, and you can select how long you want them.

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you neck up you may end up with uneven neck thickness.
i'd rather neck down,trim, and turn the necks.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd wait to measure the diameter of the chamber's neck. If it is wide, you could just neck down some 270, 280 or 30-06 brass. If it has a tight neck, you could use 25-06.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would stay away from it period, just use a 270 or a 280 and take out all the hassles of resizing, anything the 6.5 can do the 270 or 280 can do equally. Just my opinion.

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Hammer: What you say, may be true, but this is about the 6.5-06. Since I have a 6.5 and a 270 and a 280, I guess I just like to own and shoot different cartridges. BTW, I could go on and on about different chamberings, but as you put it the hassel, is part of the fun, IMO! And you can't buy a 6.5-06 at Walmart!!

Jerry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you Jerry E. but reason I say this, a buddy of mine built a 6.5-06 improved a few years back that is double trouble if you ask me,because of the fireforming process, for the amount of return you get out of, it only a about 150fps. I guess every man has his own opinion, likes and dislikes, I enjoy reloading all my ammo, I have been doing it for about 16 years, I guess I just enjoy the simple process without the extra hassle and still get the enjoyment of reloading. For now I figure the amount of shooting I will do I have enough bullets bought up for a lifetime, as long as I can get a little powder through the years. I guess I will let my oddest cartridge be the old 257 Roberts, you don't find it on every shelf either. Good luck on your 6.5

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Hammer:

I think what you need to catch is the "screwing around" bug. When it comes to wildcats and AI'S etc, most of us like that bug, and also like to have something different than most shooters. Can't beat the 257 Roberts though!

Jerry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean J.E. when I got my 257 Roberts from the local store everyone there ask me "what are goin to do with that thing you can't even get bullets for it, without us special ordering them" I replied to them I have plenty of them at home just have to get the brass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Quality brand brass made and headstamped for the 6.5-06. I still turn the neck as mine has a tight neck. I do not feel as though I need to wring every last FPS out of it, so brass life is good. Also, I anneal the top 1/3rd of the cases after 2 firings.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote