Find
Notify
Tools

Light 6.5mm bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted
I am looking to put together a killer coyote round for my 260 Remington. What pill should I go with? [Confused]

I'm shooting the 100 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips right now, but am just about out(8 loaded rounds left).

I'm not worried about saving the pelts, so maximum damage on impact is wanted. I want to stay with the lighter, 108 gr. and down to maximize downrange trajectory.

The 85 gr. Sierra seems to loose it's slight velocity advantage over the heavier bullets due to it's low BC pretty quick. The 90 gr. Speer TNT looks good. The 95 gr. V-Max is the king of the paper ballistics. The 100 gr. Sierra seems to be pretty in-efficient with regards to velocity downrange, but it does have a big hollow point. The 100 gr. NBT is a good shooter in my M700, but I want to try something else. The 100 gr. Hornady SP is cheap, and would probably shoot well, like most Hornady bullets, I'm just not sure if it will be as explosive as the others. Finally, the 107 gr. Sierra MatchKing, it has a high BC, and really packs some energy at longer distances. I'm not sure if it is meant for fast expansion though, same with the 108 gr. Lapua Scenar.

What has worked for you? I'm leaning toward the 90 gr. TNT or the 95 gr. V-Max, but I am very open to suggestions for other bullets.

TB

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 100gr BTs on deer, foxes and rabbits (long range) and have tremendous fun.

I think you're on the right track, whilst I haven't tried them in this calibre the Vmaxes are incredibly violent in their expansion and the TNTs aren't exactly noted for their failure to expand!

No knowledge of the Scenars.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TB
my choice would be the 95gr V-Max.
being light weight for the caliber they can be driven out faast and have a high balistic coefficient.
and they are explosive too!
hornady's 100 gr spire point performs completely different. a good friend of mine uses them on his 6,5x57R an they have always passed through on roe deer and chamois.
regards,
montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
<JP Terp>
posted
Definitely try the 95 Vmax. It has given me great groups in several 6.5's and is a legitimate "varmint" bullet design. The 100 Hornady and Nosler BT's are tougher bullets better suited for deer.
John

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Seems like the Hornady V-Max are a popular bullet in any caliber.

I will order a box, and try a load with Varget. See if I can get 3300 fps.

Thanks again. [Smile]

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 95 Vmax at about 3500 from a 6.5-06AI and my hunting partner uses the same bullet in his 260. Since we don't worry about picking them up cause they aren't worth skinning we don't worry about the size of the hole in the skin.

If you are going to sell the hide, find a different bullet, unless ya like to sew a lot.

Pecos

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Patrick_D>
posted
I have been trying Scenars in 108 and 123 in the 6.5x55. They are strictly speaking a target projectile, VLD type, and are beautifully made. They should be OK on thin-skinned game. I have not yet tried them on a fox, but will put that right this spring. My main concern would be ricochets, as I don't believe they are intended to break up on impact. Some of the load data from Lapua looks pretty wild - the 123grs run over 50 grains VVN160 in the 6.5x55, with velocity around 3100FPS.

Here's a picture of a Scenar and Nosler for comparison.

-

Patrick

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pic Patrick_D

I will order the 95 V-Max's tommorow.

I will try the Scenar's later, during the summer for targets, and will test them for expansion. They sure are sleek and have crzy high BC's.

TB