THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .22 Hornet .. who likes it ????

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 Hornet .. who likes it ????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
would like to hear about other guys n' there hornets. [Eek!]
buckweet

Posts: 302 | Location: clinton mo. | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Sir: I have a ruger 77/22h sporter rebarreled with a light varmint weight barrel. 22H turns regular crows into clouds of feathers, little ghogs into clumps of *uts. I can offer a nice magazine trick for the ruger if anyone is intrested. goo d shootin', ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both a Ruger No.1B and a 77/22VHZ in .22 Hornet. Great cartridge. Accurate enough to take coyotes and ground squirrels out to as far as I feel comfortable shooting. One thing, when reloading a 1 pound can of powder seems to last forever.

Ned, what’s your trick with Ruger magazines? Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Ben H>
posted
Have it reamed out to the K-Hornet chambering and you may find you like it even better. I too, would like to hear about the Ruger magazine modification.

Good Shooting,
Ben H

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Lawdog Gary: I took my magazine apart after looking at the Ruger booklet illustration. I put a 3/16 end mill in my red chinese drill press and used it to thin the plastic magazine end down to match the hand filing I did on the end of the metal feed lips part of the magazine.( work on chamber end of mag only). My mag feeds l.783 max. now, but with 1 less capacity. That's ok for me because I believe I got a specific and general accuracy improvement by seating bullets out longer or with some powders I picked up a little usable powder capacity. This is important since I use the stubby 40 speers and the long 40 v max, and case fuls of certain powders. ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an Anschutz .22 Hornet and a Cooper Varminter K-Hornet. 40 grain V-Max's in both, 3,000ish out of the Hornet, 3,250ish out of the K. I shoot p-dogs, gophers and rock chucks mostly and these two will cover 85 percent of the varminting a guy does, truly classic and remarkable calibers.---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My ol' Model 70 Hornet is a joy to shoot. Lil' Gun and 35 gr Hornady Vmax's will make very nice groups at 100 yards if I do my part. Have yet to shoot anything other than paper with it though. [Frown]

I am working on a cast bullet load for it as well. Makes a nice offhand practice load.

Tim

Posts: 149 | Location: Nebraska USA | Registered: 22 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my ruger ( target barrel. Will rutinely stay under 2" at 200 yards and does just fine on 'chucks and crows at that range. My rifle really likes win 296 powder and 40gr VAMXs, but I am Planning to try some lil'gun next. I got the Hornet in the first place out of nostalgia, my Dad hunted chucksfor many years with one and I always wanted one of my own. Now I am happier with it than I expected.

Posts: 231 | Location: Rochester NY | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I love my 22 Hornet, it�s a Krico M/400. Sweet shooting little rifle. Groups under one inch at 100 meters just about every time.

Posts: 42 | Location: Kingdom of Sweden | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my brothers rugher is sweet. but ?? would like to hear of a magazine improvment ??? how ???
let us know,
thanx
buckweet [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes] [Smile] [Confused]

one of us
posted Hide Post
file down on the feed ramp on the magazine.....
the drill on the plastic part [Confused] me...
post a pic ???
thanks...
buckweet

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Mr Buckweet Sir: Yes,look at ruger's magazine disassembly illustration in their book. Load & unload the mag with cartridges a few times, examining the goings on at the front. look in there with a good light. you will soon discover where to file steel or mill/dremel plastic to increase the loaded length it will accept. Us luddites are agin' pictures when we don't have them. Sorry, but good shooting. ned

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Mr Swedish Mike: I'll bet your Krico IS a great rifle. Had a 22 H anschutz for many years in 222, but always wanted a Krico 22H with Euro stock. Just could not get one here. Regards, ned

one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester cases, Remington 6 1/2 primers, 11.2 Gr. H110 powder, H 40Gr.V-Max and an other load Same cases and primer ,12.5 Gr. H LilGun powder ,Hornady 45 Gr. Hornet bullet will group under one inch at 100 Yds. Good for P Dogs out to 225 with my old Kimber. How can I not like the 22 Hornet? Have fun.

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckweet:
would like to hear about other guys n' there hornets. [Eek!]
buckweet

I have two of them one a NEF handi rifle and
a Ruger 77h. these two guns i would never sell
they are just to much fun to shoot.

Posts: 46 | Location: Friendship,Wis. USA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Greetings G. ned ludd. I understand that it�s hard to find a Krico 22H on your side of the Atlantic. Since they are don�t made anymore you have to find a slightly used one and most of them stay in Europe. Even in Sweden they are hard to come by, guess peolple stick to there Kricos. Regards, Mikael

Posts: 42 | Location: Kingdom of Sweden | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used to have a #3 Hornet that was a 1/2" shooter but it was stolen. [Eek!] Used to have a #1 in Hornet, but now it's a K-Hornet. It shoots very well after a bit of expermenting, likes Li'l Gun and Hornady 45 gr Hornet bullets at 3200 fps +/-. Tried the 40 gr plastic tips but velocities were erratic which is not uncommon with LG powder from what I hear. OH WELL sez I, you never know until you try. It makes me wonder why I ever wanted a 'two-twenty-something', 'cept mebbe for the Swift. [Wink]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 22H/modified ruger also shoots the Speer 50 tnt really well at pretty close to 2650 fps using r/p cases, 12.7 lilgun and the 6 1/2 primer. For those intrested, the 50 tnt velocity/drop tables suggest a very good match with the "hot" new 17 rimfire ballistics. And bsa makes 3 special 17 rimfire scopes with a range dial-up feature. Guess I'll stick with the old hornet with 3x the throw weightof the 17 rim. SHHHHHH! don't tell the rimfire people. ned

one of us
posted Hide Post
Love both of mine. TC Contender Carbine wtith a 21 inch barrel prefers 40 grain Nosler BT's while my CZ 527 loves 40 Hornaday VMax's. I find that the Hornet satisfies about 90 percent of my varmit shooting needs for crows and groundhogs. Seldom do I take my .222 out of the safe anymore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very happy with my Ruger m77, sporter barrel. Best load is 13.0gr Lilgun, 45gr Sftpt, Win case and small pistol primer.
Fred

Posts: 37 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the 77/22 and a No. 1 in Hornet...shot a lot of critters with 'em!

The 77/22 has been my main go-to gun for a while now.

By the way, both rifles shoot the exact same load!

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buckweet: I have owned a BUNCH of 22 Hornets over the years! My feelings about the 22 Hornet are best described as a LOVE/HATE relationship! I hate'em yet I love'em. Finicky, cranky, useful, not often super performers, can't live with'em - can't live without'em, (kind of sounds like a gal I dated some time ago!) and they will make you mutter to yourself!
Yeah everyone should have to make a Hornet shoot at least once during their shooting careers.
Just one illustration I can't resist relaying. I had a 22 Hornet once (I think it was a 77/22 Hornet) I had a great scope on it (Leupold 4X12 AO) and I had Redding dies and really went all out to get this rig to be my "keeper" 22 Hornet! I used Winchester brass for my load development (for the first year anyway!) then I tried RWS and some other brand of brass as I was convinced the brass was the root of my really mediocre at best groupings. Then at a gunshow (during the second year of load development and Rifle modifications on the Hornet) I got a "steal" deal on a box of Remington 1950's vintage factory ammo. Aaahhh I thought this old Remington brass will give me another chance at achieving "good groupings".
I could not kinetic pull those tiny projectiles so I decided to shoot the 50 of them. Low and behold the Remington ammo shot very well in my Rifle and I was so mad and flustered that factory ammo (40 year old factory ammo at that) outshot all my carefully crafted handloads that I sold the dang Rifle.
I still have two pre-64 Model 70's in 22 Hornet but I do not shoot them. And my new "go to" 22 Hornet Rifle is a beautiful Ruger #1-B with a Leupold 6x18 variable on it. It shoots OK now (after fiddling with it for 2 years also) and now groups 5 shots at 100 yards in the .78" to .90" range fairly consistently. I use the new Remington/Peters (R-P) nickel plated brass to get these groups!?!? Along with the neat little Hornady 35 gr. V-Max and H110 powder.
Under LOVE/HATE relationships in my dictionary is a picture of a 22 Hornet cartridge!
Good Luck!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VarmintGuy:
... My feelings about the 22 Hornet are best described as a LOVE/HATE relationship! I hate'em yet I love'em. Finicky, cranky, useful, not often super performers, can't live with'em - can't live without'em, (kind of sounds like a gal I dated some time ago!) and they will make you mutter to yourself!
Under LOVE/HATE relationships in my dictionary is a picture of a 22 Hornet cartridge!
Good Luck!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I my gun cabinet, there�s an old Brno ZKW 465. She take old Sako ammo, most of my own handloads with different powders and bullets without quarrelling. 1-1� inch @ 100 yds is good enough for me.

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 77/22 in 22 Hornet! This is a very nice rifle and it will give me minute of angle groups with almost all loads!

I don't know why, but it seems that someone is always trying to put these rifles into a pest rifle position, when in fact, these rifles will will handle a lot of game that many people think that they can't! I have taken whitetails with mine and the distances range from 25 feet to 150 yards! One shot with a 45 or 50 grain bullet, either in the middle of the ribs or high on the shoulder/spine intersection and you have meat in the freezer!
That's my 2 cents!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
:} 22 Hornet is love at first sight! I have a contender pistol barrel, a Thompson TCR-83 23 inch barrel and used to have a Savage 219...sorry I gave that one away. Great caliber for lots of fun!
Old man I hunted with as a kid used a savage bolt action, believe it was a M340 and killed his deer every year...NO, I'm not calling it a deer round, just telling a story....

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This ones to Chuck, They call em varmint guns cause they are varmint guns. Being able to kill something with a particular round certainly doesn't make it an effective choice. At 150 yards a 50 grainer has somewhere around 300 foot lbs of energy, under perfect conditions and with a perfect shot no doubt you can kill em, but after hunting big game for over 40 years I know perfect unravels pretty qwick and then you've got a wounded animal. The Hornets a fantastic round, I've got 2 Hornets and a K, but with so many much more effecient rounds available why would ya? Besides in a good number of states it wouldn't even be legal. In my opinion it's in no way a deer rifle. Just my two cents.---Shoot Safe---montdoug

[ 12-03-2003, 08:25: Message edited by: montdoug ]

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey guys !!!! my t/c .22 hornet barrel is here !!!!
yaaaaaahoooooo !!!!!!
its a bull barrel super 14
caint wait to try it out this next coming weekend,,,
buckweet [Big Grin] [Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Smile] [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Browning Micro [Smile] [Smile] 35grain V-max Hornady factory loads. It shoots really well.

<mike aw>
posted
Had a Kimber 22Hornet in Cascade model that shot well but got an itch for a longer barrel. Tried to find one in the varmint configuration but Kimber had gone belly up at that point and none were to be found. So..I had a smith order a 24" Krieger barrel and match it up to the Kimber action with a little touch up and then had him stick it into a blank from Paul Dressel. Results are probably the sweetest shooting/prettiest rifle I own. 13gr lil gun, Fed samll rifle primer, win brass, Hornady 45gr Hornet bullet = 1/2 to 7/8 3shot groups consistently at 100yds.