Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

solids in a .22-250
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, has anyone tried the Impala Solids (From South Africa) or any other solids (like barnes solids) in the .22-250? How's the results on game? Apparently when loaded to about 4000fps, they can be quite deadly, even on medium game.
Info and photos would be appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only animal I would consider shooting with a solid bullet from a 22-250 would be a turkey. Help us understand what your trying to achieve with solids.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you mean solids as in non expanding type bullets, it is not reccomended. If you mean monometallic expanding bullets, I can vouch for the fact that they work very well and perform much better than most would expect.

3800 fps
4200 fps
4400 fps
4700 fps

One of Us
Picture of Rayderluvr
posted Hide Post
WOW...the 22x64 looks like a fun rifle. Where can i get one?

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose.....but you can't pick your friends nose!

Posts: 72 | Location: SW Misssouri | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big-foot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rayderluvr:

Pac-Nor chambers the 22-06.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big-foot:
quote:
Originally posted by Rayderluvr:

Pac-Nor chambers the 22-06.

I call it job security(grin)

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Check your regs. In some states you cannot use solids to hunt game. Arizona is one. shame

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I used up a box of Barnes solids in my 220 Swift on hogs years ago. Most were head shots and the rest were neck shots. None were over 50 yards. All the head shots shattered the skull into many pieces. The solids at that velocity shattered vertebrae and created lots of secondary missles. Some neck wounds were the size of cantelopes. I never tried a body shot for fear of wounding.

All in all I think that they performed well enough but were of no advantage over expanding bullets. Also, the Barnes alloy has to be harder on barrels than other bullets.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote