THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    1 in 16" twist .224 Douglas XX , what bullets?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1 in 16" twist .224 Douglas XX , what bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We got some Douglas XX tapered barrels for $50 at the gunshow yesterday. My brother wants to chamber .223 Remington in a 1 in 16" twist.
What bullets would be stable?
I see Berger thinks 15" is best for 45 gr and 14" for 50 gr, but I want to know what is the heaviest bullet that could be stable.
TIA

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Sierra 50 gr SPT has always shot well in a 1-16" for me. That's a good bullet with no faults.

If you must have something "modern" then the 40 gr Nosler BT's are very good also.

My muzzle velocities are 3600/4000 fps.

They say it's the length and not the weight. I leave that up to you experts. However that Sierra 50 gr has done the job for a long time. So chamber up the barrels.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady 45 gr. Hornet bullets stabilize in a 1/16" twist. It has been my experience that the Nosler 40 gr. Ballistic Tip is less stable than the Hornady 40 gr. VMAX bullet from a 1/16" twist. My "K" Hornet with a 1/16" twist normally stabilizes the Hornady 40 gr. down to about 10 deg.C, the Nosler stabilizes above 20 deg. C. from my gun. (I shoot at about 1000 feet above sea level and the muzzle velocity is about 2750 fps. Some relatively blunt nosed 50 gr. bullets may stabilze.
Shooting at higher eleveations, higher temperatures and higher muzzle velocity all helps to stabilize bullets.

rollinghills

Posts: 107 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
woudn't a higher velocity cartridge give you more bullet options such as a 220 swift or even a 22-6mm??

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark, I posted in regard to your reamer post.

Are you SURE you have 22 centerfire barrels and not rimfire? 16 twist is quite slow for a centerfire 22 anything, but just right for rimfire.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My old Buhmiller barrel is a "22" barrel chambered for the R2 Lovell. Someone rechambered it for the Improved Zipper along the way. The groove dia is about .2228" and it shoots .224" bullets just fine. It does melt the old Blitz bullets though.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a .224".

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark, some years back I had a Ruger #3 with a 16" twist IIRC. It would shoot Sierra 52 gr HPBT fine, but no more that that. Chambering was .22 Hornet. Generally speaking I think you're treading on thin ice above 50 gr with that twist.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote