THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    "Go-To" .223, 55gr. / AR-15 1 in 9" twist, proven loads?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Go-To" .223, 55gr. / AR-15 1 in 9" twist, proven loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted
Hello All,

I've finished building and breaking in an AR-15 which, believe it or not, I built intentionally for small game / varmint hunting. 20" Bull Barrel, etc. 1 in 9 twist.

Anyway, I'm looking for recommended "go-to" loads, figure in the 50/55gr weight range, although I'm not firm on that. I'm quite partial to Hornady bullets, but really, don't care that much. MidSouth Varmint Bullets or Midway's Dogtowns are just fine for my needs. I can also get a good deal on 40gr. Nosler's as well...

If I can get 1.0" at 100 yards I'll be quite happy.

Anyway, do y'all have any "go-to" loads you can share with me?

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Bushmaster likes 25.5 grains BlC-2 W/55 grain Sierra or Remington Bulk bullet #10 shots 100 Yd. covered by a dime if I do my part . It also likes IMR 4895 24.4 grains & H4895 25.3 grains as well as H335 24.0 grains.

None of the above are Max loads , how ever I always load middle of the road then adjust up or down by a .010 grain to see what it's happy with . You may have to adjust some what for your AR ?.
Hope that helps .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Good ones mentioned above..

but 25 grains of

H 322, IMR 4895, IMR 4064, IMR 3031, Benchmark all seem to work very well for accuracy...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote