THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Range day for the Swedish 6.5x55

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range day for the Swedish 6.5x55
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
I loaded up some 140 sp. with a few different powders. report later today.

rich

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Best two loads for the 140 were 42gr 4350 and 40gr H-380. The 4895 was no good. I didn't try 4831 since the bbl is 19 inches.

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think if I had to live with just one powder for 6.5X55, 270, and 30-06, it would be H4350. It just works so well in all of them. With the 6.5, I like the 129g Hornady InterLock.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen, Jaywalker, IMR-4350 forever!!!

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you have tried RL 22. I have gotten both the best groups and velocities with this powder using 130-140 gr. bullets

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
beerOne of the best performances with two types of 140 gr bullets was with 47gr. of data powder 86. No pressure signs in this rifle.Average velocity was 2735fps. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YOU are located in NY, NY....

Just where or how far do you have to go to get some range time and what kind of range is available????? bewildered

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
beerOne of the best performances with two types of 140 gr bullets was with 47gr. of data powder 86. No pressure signs in this rifle.Average velocity was 2735fps. thumbroger

47gr of DP 86/Fed215M 140gr Partition is the only load that will group well in my M70 Featherweight. 2724fps with sub MOA groups, no need to look any further for this rifle. Thanks Roger!

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have nearly the same rifle as you except mine has a 22" barrel, and the scope is over the action. Mine is shooting IMR 4064 into tiny little groups, ( I posted pictures of the gun and groups awhile back ) using Rem 140 grain Core Lockt bullets. It also shoots IMR 4350 very well.
Post reports of your range results please.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Snell

Here's the groups with H-380. The 4350 was about the same. I'm gonna try 4064 next.

I need to replace the trigger on this one. It's the original military but not 2 stage. The 6x scope is not great for targets either.. but now I'm just making excuses boohoo

The group on the right is from my Mannlicher in 243.

Seafire

The range is about 40 minute from home and is closing at the end of the year. I've been going there for over 30 years. The next closest is about a hour away.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Steve, roger

I have no experience with Data powders. I've got a bunch of burn rate charts but none have Data powder listed.

Rich

quote:
Originally posted by steve4102:
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

47gr of DP 86/Fed215M 140gr Partition is the only load that will group well in my M70 Featherweight. 2724fps with sub MOA groups, no need to look any further for this rifle. Thanks Roger!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

I do like H-4350, and that group looks like the basis of a very good load. Strung out like that, I'd check the rear bag (rabbit ear?) positioning and bedding before I changed powder, personally.

Jaywalker

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Steve, roger

I have no experience with Data powders. I've got a bunch of burn rate charts but none have Data powder listed.

Rich

Here is a link. AA 3100 data can be used for DP 86.
http://accuratepowder.com/datapowder.htm

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Jaywalker,

I have noticed, that on one hand having front/rear bags farther apart might minimize movement, some guns do much better with the front bag far to the rear of the forearm, it can affect group size, by pressure changes, also the forearms have more surface area often on many rifles, further rearward. Good point.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes on subsequent shots, bags (both front and rear) shift position so that the rifle does not recoil along the same line as previously. That's the most common reason for horizontal stringing. Your vertical component shows that you have an accurate rifle and you're holding it well.

Jaywalker

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
roger
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Steve, roger

Powder Valley on sale for $62.00/8lb. container
1-800-227-4299. Nice outfit to deal with. thumb

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote