Find
Notify
Tools

Mannlicher 6.5x54 MS
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Figured some of you would be interested in the following:

I got my current issue of Outdoor Life last night. Jim Carmichael's column was about the new Mannlicher Classic. At the bottom of the page was a small note that ststed Mannlicher was going to do a limited run of 2000 rifles in the Model 1903 carbine, chambered for 6.5x54 MS.

So, for all you guys that have wanted one of these, there are more coming. I've got an original and love it. If I didn't own one already, I'd be contacting a dealer and getting my name on a list.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it the new model that looks somewhat like this?

http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/index.php?id=17&L=1

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage_99:

I hope not Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to the note in the article, they will be making the Model 1903 to the exact specs as the originals. In other words, they will be modern Model 1903,not the Classic which you have pictured.

The Model 1903 Mannilcher-Schoenauer was one of the classic both guns of the early 20th century. I don't have time to post pics because I am on my way to the airport. But do a google search and you will find the 1903's look nothing like the one you have posted here.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you used the Classic name it seemed as if it might be the current one.

I am familiar with the old M1903 and I have a 1952 and MCA here. A buddy has a old 1903 6.5-54 and I have handled it more than once and tried to buy it but in thinking about it and wanting a scope I let it go.

If I tried to scope that old style 1903 it might become just another MS and loose its small feel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They were, apart from some merit of the cartridge, not quite everybody's "cup of tea" although at one stage they were extremely popular for highland stalking in Scotland. Despite its low velocity the long 160 grain bullet was considered a good killer.

I have had one or two and they were very "graceful" that is for sure and the rotary magazine had merit in stopping damage to the bullet nose.

But I never kept any of them favouring Mauser based rifles for stalking or my 280 Ross 1905. I think that to do the rifle as a rifle would go well...to do it as a "carbine" or "stutzen" style...ugh!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For us older blinder folks they need to put a cocking piece peep sight on it. With a scope it is just and other clunky scoped rifle. It would interesting to see if they can match the workmanship of my 95 Dutch Mannlicher made in 1900.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no interest in buying a 'new' MS 1903 FS carbine. I had MCA carbine in 6.5-54 and it was ok except for the excessive headspace. The cartridge is obsolete. To each his own.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no interest in buying a 'new' MS 1903 FS carbine. I had MCA carbine in 6.5-54 and it was ok except for the excessive headspace. The cartridge is obsolete. To each his own.

You certainly got that last sentence correct. ("To each his own".) I've owned literally dozens of M/S carbines and rifles, and you couldn't give me an MCA model of the M/S.

However, that says absolutely nothing about the 1903 carbine. The carbine is to the MCA as a beautiful dainty quail egg is to a watermelon.

The 1903 carbine is handy to carry, especially in deep woods or high mountains & cliffs. The MCA is nowhere near as trim or as gracefully stocked as the 1903 carbine and reminds me of a puff adder which has just swallowed a large putrid heat-swollen rat. To my eye the carbine reminds me of a 17 year old red haired female swimming champion with smooth & slim graceful lines and an absolutely solid build without an ounce of fat. The MCA looks like Rosie O'Donnel on steroids.

The 1903 carbine is deadly accurate up to about 300 yards from offhand for those who have learned its ways. The MCA has so much wood hanging all over it, not to mention plastic spacers, etc., that I had to learn contortionism to wrap myself properly around it to fire. (Bit of an exaggeration there, but not much.)

I also find the 6.5x54 cartridge does just fine when it comes to killing game dead. It has mild recoil which assists EVERYONE in being a more certain shot, whether they admit it or not. The bullet provides good penetration, with every weight appropriate to the game at hand, from 129 grains up through 160 grains. The cartridge profile combined with the rotary magazine makes for butter smooth, flawless feeding too. Obsolete? Yeh, just about as obsolete as the 8 m/m Mauser.....which in turn is about as obsolete as the .30-06.

Then there is the whole thing about a rifle made of out flawlessly finished steel and wood. The only bolt rifles I have ever owned which were genuine self-closers were M/Ss. Just point them downward, and the bolt would close, so smooth was their operation. I like that.

I do not know how these will be delivered, but the originals came with a steel, trap-type buttplate, under which there was included a blued steel, jointed cleaning rod.

I guess the only way to really find out is to buy one. So, I will, if I can. I haven't yet seen the proposed price, but figure it will be about $3,500 to $4,000, either of which I would manage to pay. If it is greater, I probably won't.

But yes, for its intended uses, my life's experiences tell me there is nothing better than an original M/S. Certainly not a perfect gun for all situations, but an absolute jewel and a faithful, tasteful, companion for a person who enjoys the art and the tradition of the hunt, not just flinging away lead at long range.

To each his own view, and that's the vision I have. If your mileage varies, that does not diminish my own.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I would love to see a new 1903 also but have doubts about quality. Unfortionately there isn't a place within a 100 miles of my house that would stock a rifle like that. I'd have to pay my money and take my chances. Probably ain't gonna happen. Frowner

Alberta Canuck, I enjoyed reading your post. Passion is as important to ownership as function for me.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
I would to see a new 1903 also but have doubts about quality. Unfortionately there isn't a place within a 100 miles of my hose that would stock a rifle like that. I'd have to pay my money and take my chances. Probably ain't gonna happen. Frowner

Alberta Canuck, I enjoyed reading your post. Passion is as important to ownership as function for me.

Terry

thumb thumbAll two of U !!! fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:

NOT if it is a real Model 1903 Carbine!! If so, it will be a real Mannlicher-Schoenauer! That would be something. It looks to me like the guy in Austria who is currently making repros of the REAL M/S is getting around $8500.00 US for one..........

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
homerThey certainly look pretty but not $8,500 pretty. If they get rid of the butter knife ( bruser ) bolt handle and split bridge they'd have a nice usefull rifle. shocker stirroger

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Great post, Alberta Canuck! Cool thumb

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13480 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The old guns were really nice..I have owned a couple of them but keep selling them as the price soars upward...

A new one if perfectly cloned and price within reasho would be my next purchase.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
A new one if perfectly cloned and price within reasho would be my next purchase.

Confused Would you mind explaining your reasoning why you would do that? bewilderedroger