Find
Notify
Tools

Texas and the .22 Hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
SO many of my hunts in Texas have been from blinds. The distances were short, the blinds steady. Taking a whitetail spike with one head shot from the Hornet made me a believer. Instant kill, no meat damaged. And, quiet. Seems to me that would work as well with any of the deer family even the reds.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BillInTheWild

I've been trying to tell people that for years, but there are so many doubters!

If you put a 45 grain bullet into the middle of a deers ribs, he won't go very far and usually will drop right there!
Obviously as you found out, a headshot will do it all instantly!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I've lived in Texas all my life, and of all my hunts, less than 10 percent (probably less than 5 %) have been from blinds.

Yes, in a perfect world, a .22 Hornet can and will take a deer. But we don't live and hunt in a perfect world.

And no, I am not condemning all .22 centerfires for use on smaller deer. In skilled hands and given proper bullets, the 22-250, .220 Swift, .224 TTH, etc. are extremely effective on deer-sized game. But I won't delve deeply here as this is a subject that's been rehashed here time and again.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9411 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
22LR at short range will drop a whitetail with a head shot....don't ask me how I know!

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
22 mag will lay them out flat right there same with pigs but you must wait for the right shot.
you can ask how i know but i wont tell.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CRUSHER:
22 mag will lay them out flat right there same with pigs but you must wait for the right shot.
you can ask how i know but i wont tell.

Big Grin

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to have to agree, not from personal experience, from many stories of a someone near and dear that regularly uses an old pump action Winchester .22 magnum to bring home the venison (during legal season mind you). For the few deer I have taken, a .22 mag would have been sufficient, and a Hornet would have done the job nicely because they were all very close and holding still (which takes a LOT of patience, but not wanting to leave my dry tree spot to wander helps too) so yes, under the IDEAL CIRCUMSTANCES they work fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, yeah. So will the .22 LR, or in a rather odd collusion of circumstance, the CB short insofar as hogs are concerned. Never did a deer with RF's but a whole bunch of 'em meet their end that way every year.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
OH YES THE CB IS GREAT BUT THE 60 GR AGUILA SSS THROUGH A 1 IN 9 BBL AND MY SUPRESSOR IS FANTASTIC ON PIGS.BROWNELLS SELLS A BBL FOR A 77-22 IN 1-9.

YOU ARE IN A HIDE AND BEATING ON THEM FROM 40 YDS AND THEY ARE QUITE CONFUSED

THE FIRST PIG FALLS DEAD AND THE REST LOOK AT HIM LIKE WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM GET UP YOUR EMBARASING US REALY QUIT SCREWIN AROUND MAN THEN THE 2 3 4 5 FALL AND THE LAST ONES ARE LIKE HEYYYY SOMETHINS UP HERE.

IF YOU HIT ONE RIGHT AND THEY DONT SQUEILL THE REST JUST STAND THERE.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow Crusher!!

That's "makin bacon!!"

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bluepuma,

The 22mag may do what you say it does when it comes to deer, but in Texas rim fire cartridges are illegal for deer and migratory birds.

IMO, it should never be used for deer.

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
The rimfire law in texas is just plain stupid but it is the law. that is why I am working on a 5.7 x 28 rifle because it is a centerfire and therefore not verboten.

I like to wait til they look away and breack c1 with a lite bullet when they have no idea im on the same planet now thats a rush.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT