New
Find
Notify
Tools

22/250 heavy bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i haven"t seen too much load data for heavy(68-75gr) bullets except with the .223 rem; has the 22/250 been loaded with heavy bullets? handloader had an article by waters on a 10" twist 22/250.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
orlop

There is some data in Hodgdon 27 and some as well in Sierra's Edition V. Hope that's helpful.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 22.250 with a one in 8 twist...

It shoots the heavier bullets, up thru 80 grain with that twist....

Load data is sparse, so I had to develop a lot of it myself....

Heavier bullets than the usual bullets used in regular 22.250s, make it a specialized rifle... instead of just a regular varmint field rifle..

Match bullets don't blow up very well on varmints... It does increase the long range capabilities of the round, and an 80 grain match long throated looks pretty cool on a 22.250 nickel case....

But for functionality, I'd stick with the regular 1 in 12 twist...

The one in 8 will vaporize a lot of fragile varmint bullets right out of the barrel...at 22.250 velocities.. even slow velocitys for a 22.250....

The faster twist also makes a lot of the regular 22 caliber bullets turn in poor accuracy results... most weren't designed to take that many RPMs generated by the faster twist...

YOu also need to make sure you rifle is long throated, and this would work best on a Mauser length or Long Action, since the long 22 caliber match bullets won't work well in a short action... unless single fed....

If they are not long throated, the bullet must be seated so deep in the case, interferring with powder capacity, therefore you really gain nothing over a 223 bolt action.....

Don't get me wrong.. I love mine... as I have regular 22.250s... but it really becomes more specialized... and someone must realize it, before building one and finding the decrease overall versatility of the round...

But a 75 grain to 80 grain match bullet, seated out long, sure looks kinda " corvette cool" looking... and it will really reach out there...

For powder recommendations... H 414 and W 760 sure do a dandy job, as does RL 19.....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
I have a 22.250 with a one in 8 twist...

Didn't know you had that. It should be a great small deer rifle with the Barrier. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1 in 8" twist A&B barrel on a Savage 11 that shoots 55 grain BT and 60 grain Partitions into groups so small that you'd think that the rifle firing them was a Niseka/Stolle with a hart/shilen barrel on it, instead of a $350 package gun with a $100 Shaw reject barrel.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Didn't know you had that. It should be a great small deer rifle with the Barrier.

I'll have to try and find some of those Roger... I think I have a small batch in a plastic bag around here somewhere... I remember seeing some, from a guy in California that came my way the other day...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 260remguy:
I have a 1 in 8" twist A&B barrel on a Savage 11 that shoots 55 grain BT and 60 grain Partitions into groups so small that you'd think that the rifle firing them was a Niseka/Stolle with a hart/shilen barrel on it, instead of a $350 package gun with a $100 Shaw reject barrel.

Jeff

But remember....

A rifle that hits the target once, and misses it with the other 4 shots, is technically still a one hole shooter....

Actually, don't ya love it when a cheap project comes together like that????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, it is my 2nd A&B 1 in 8" A&B 22-250 barrel. The 1st was for a friend and it shot so good I bought a barrel for myself. I am in the process of fitting an A&B Savage barrel in 260 to a Remington 788, as it is too good a shooting barrel to leave on the Savage.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a 8" 22/250A.I. in a browning hiwall. with this you can seat the bullets out further and really make use of the case. It's a great long range piece with the 80 gr sierras. 40 gr of IMR 4831 and the 80 gr

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
as it is too good a shooting barrel to leave on the Savage.Jeff

shameBooo, Hisss, CRYBABYroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako 22-250 that I rebarreled with a 1:7 twist. Shoots 75 g. Hornadys into a ragged hole, does the same with 55 g. Speers. Load development was boreing. I started with IMR-4350, which made little bitty groups, then switched to H-4350 (because it meters better) and had the same results.

I do understand that the fragile varmint bullets will not get to the target in one piece, but there are a lot of .224 bullets that are well suited to the tight twist barrels.

quote:
Originally posted by orlop:
i haven"t seen too much load data for heavy(68-75gr) bullets except with the .223 rem; has the 22/250 been loaded with heavy bullets? handloader had an article by waters on a 10" twist 22/250.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 310 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, but life is too short to shoot an ugly rifle if you can afford not to. I can, so I do.

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sorry, but life is too short to shoot an ugly rifle if you can afford not to. I can, so I do.Jeff

Jeff, I agree with you 110%. Please send that ugly Savage to this poogh boy. Razzerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you send me a MO for what I paid for it and a signed copy of your dealer's FFL, I'll pay the shipping in the lower 48.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks everyone!! i was thinking the hornady 68 gr. and sierra 69 gr. would be interesting for a handloading project; i shoot just to empty the cases.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you send me a MO for what I paid for it and a signed copy of your dealer's FFL, I'll pay the shipping in the lower 48.Jeff

PM sent. roger

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I've had good success with Speer 70 grain Semi Spitzers in 222 Remington, 223 Remington and 22/250 Remington. One hundred yard groups run from 0.5 to 1 inch which I consider adequate for deer. I use a compressed load of Winchester 760 in the 222, Vihtavuori N-135 in the 223 and IMR 4064 in the 22/250. All the barrels are 1:12 twist.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got some 60 gr. Nosler partitions - hope to hunt Coues deer in NM (got a license this year). Any load data to share? Regards, AIU

one of us
posted Hide Post
There was some work published in the early 90's in Australia based on a fast twist 22/250 and 220Swift. Author was looking at long-range target possibilities using VLD projectiles and was achieving 3200fps in 26" barrels using 75gr to 80gr projectiles. The idea of a fast-twist 22/250 is a good one in Australia where the majority of our game is soft skinned and small to medium. A modern 22Savage if you like or 5.6x57. Not likely to be a popular option however until a major manufacturer starts producing a streamlined heavy-weight hunting projectile. Personally I think the idea is long overdue.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Here in norway , the ammo rules for seal hunting was different before , and several got a gunsmith to make custom barrels for the 22-250 so it could handle heavier bullets. And the 5,6x57 is already made to use heavier bullets. Its factory round comes with a 75 grain coinepoint and fmj at 3410 fps . it was also the .22 Newton that was nothing than a 7x57 mauser necked down to 5,56.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some loaded 70gr bullets made by Speer for my 22-250. I have shot them to 200 yds and the group was very tight. Great deer bullet for the 22-250.
Never shot any heaver bullets in my 22-250.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 22.284 with a 1 in 7 twist is something I have seen on a Winchester Model 70 short action...

80 grain bullets were capable of MVs of 34 to 3500 fps....

however, the gunsmith predicted barrel life, in the neighborhood of 500 to 750 rounds... depending on rate of fire...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dose anyone know what twist AHR uses with the 220 Howell? They load it with 75 and 90gr bullets.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years back,Texas Trophy Hunters came out with their "own calibre",the 224 TTH.Basically a 6MM case necked to 224.After reading ballistics on this,decided I could come close to duplication using 22-250 AI W/40deg.,1-6 twist for 80G.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4394 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman,

I have an A&B heavy 1 in 8" short chambered .22-250 barrel waiting for a suitable donar Mauser action I'll use the AI reamer on and end up with the same thing you are thinking. It is about #6 in the pattern now, but maybe I'll get to it this winter...I think it willwork just fine!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote