THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    60 gr NPT from .223 on deer???

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

60 gr NPT from .223 on deer???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

I have a need for a relatively quiet deer rifle for use on the side of the property near neighbors. I have a very accurate AR. All of my other rifles will be louder.

How would the 60 gr Nosler Partition driven at 3100 fps work on whitetails? My ranges will be 110 yards or less.

Would appreciate the benefit of your experience. Thanks!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Of course it will.. it is all about shot placement... the bigger the deer, the more critical it may be...

our deer are antelope sized here, so it is no big deal...

however, my roots are in Monroe County WVa, and there are some awfully big whitetails down that way.. plus I don't think a 223 in an AR is any more quite than a downloaded rifle of a bigger caliber...

if powder volume is any indication of noise level, maybe a load of 18 grains of SR 4759 and a 150 grain bullet in a 30/30 would be a consideration.. MV would be about 1950 fps and it would be more than adequate at 110 yds or less...

cheers
seafire

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will kill a deer with one problem. Being able to hit the deer. The 60 Partition has to be one of the most inaccurate bullets I have ever shot. Tried multiple loads in several rifles with NO luck. I shoot 257, 264 and 308 partitions in other rifles with no issue. I currently use the 60gr Hornady with great results.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

I'm sure it will work, but if you don't want to reload or if you want to reload a cheaper bullet, the 64 gr Winchester Power Point kills them graveyard dead. I've used it in a shortened stocked Contender for kids, mine and others, to use on my ranch and it has accounted for 7 one shot kills. The .223 will get the job done, just put it in the right spot and they don't go any farther than if you'd used a .300 Win Mag.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Was interested in the performance. I have an old AR that is a 1:9 twist tack driver. Has shot 0.4" 100 yard groups with good ammo. We'll see if it shoots the 60 OK.

I have tried the 55 gr NBT and found it to lack the needed penetration. Don't like that bullet save on paper.

Again, thanks!

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just sighted in the AR with 60 gr NPTs loaded on x1 LC97 cases with 24.5 gr H335 and WSR primers. Was a middle of the road load from Nosler's site some time ago.

In the wind mixed with a little snow, the rifle shot a group of <1/2" at 50 yards. I think it's good to go.

Mike

--------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the wind mixed with a little snow

Yeah, we had a bad cold front blow in last night, only in the mid 60s and sunny as I write. Roll Eyes

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gat ...

You're a RAT Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Mike

--------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
Just sighted in the AR with 60 gr NPTs loaded on x1 LC97 cases with 24.5 gr H335 and WSR primers. Was a middle of the road load from Nosler's site some time ago.

In the wind mixed with a little snow, the rifle shot a group of <1/2" at 50 yards. I think it's good to go.

Let us know how it goes on the deer.

Mate of mine knocked off a fallow buck on the weekend with a 223 and a Sierra 63 grain semi spitzer. It ran 20 yards and dropped dead.

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of trying these also. The Nosler 60gnrs.

Link below might help with load data - from Noslers web site
60 gr. Partition Load Data

Benchmark is the only powder I have out of the 3 mentioned.

ar15hunter.50webs.com

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30378:
It will kill a deer with one problem. Being able to hit the deer. The 60 Partition has to be one of the most inaccurate bullets I have ever shot. Tried multiple loads in several rifles with NO luck. I shoot 257, 264 and 308 partitions in other rifles with no issue. I currently use the 60gr Hornady with great results.

Well, for a bullet to be accurate, it must be shot in a barrel that has adequate spin. The 60-grain Nosler Partition is a long bullet. It will not work in my rifles that have 1/14" or 1/12" twist. I believe it needs at least 1/9" to stay point forward. In the slower twists, use the lighter Barnes X-type bullets, such as the 53 grain.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A proven .223 deer bullet is the winchester 64gr power point bullet.I used it this year on a deer with great results!

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
53 grn barnes work good too!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote