THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Good Deal on Rem 700 CDL .264 Win Mags

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Deal on Rem 700 CDL .264 Win Mags
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted
Just picked it up from my dealer. It's a NIB Rem 700 CDL in walnut and matte blue with the 26" fluted barrel that Remington made as a special production run a couple of years ago. I had a Win M70 .264 years ago and quite stupidly sold it and have wanted another for some time. I have a good selection of bullets from 95gr to 140gr and can't wait to play with her, should be a screamer.

Anyway, I bought it from Don's Hobby Guns in Kearney, NE, phone number 308-234-6358. The price was right, $699 plus $24 shipping, total of $723 which is about $150-$200 less than any others I could find. He has some more of them if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Andy

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great deal on a very nice rifle in a really fun cartridge. congrats! I like 125's or 130's at about 3300fps for deer.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like 125's or 130's at about 3300fps for deer.

That's exactly what I'm thinking! That has to just knock the stuffing out of deer and antelope.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That has to just knock the stuffing out of deer and antelope.

Roger, that!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, a properly tuned .264 Win will "reach out and touch" medium game quite effectively. Years ago I used to use 120's on deer (@ about 3350 fps), but eventually switched to 140 grain Partitions in order to use just a single load for both deer and larger game (I killed a couple of elk with the Partitions). Anything from 120 to 140 grains works fine on deer/antelope, and you don't have to use such an exceedingly slow powder with 120-125 grainers to reach acceptable velocities.

I recommend only very slow powders like US 869 or WC 872 for 140 grain bullets, but something like RL-25 will push lighter bullets as fast as they need to go.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a frustrating time with my 264 CDL. I couldn't get it to consistently group under 2" with any of the bullet, powder, primer combinations I tried. It's the one and only Remington 700 that I've had significant problems with. I eventually decided to rebarrel and now I have a very accurate rifle. I hope the barrel you got is better than the one I got.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great deal.

I have a CDL in a .243 and one of our sons has a 300Win Mag also in a CDL. Both have proven to be good shooters as far as accuracy and we both like the look and feel of the CDL.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've purchased guns from Don's Hobby Guns, good service and very reliable. I wouldn't consider the .264 an efficient round in terms of reloading components but it's one hell of a performer. I've never use it on game bigger than coyote but it does the job extremely well.

quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
Just picked it up from my dealer. It's a NIB Rem 700 CDL in walnut and matte blue with the 26" fluted barrel that Remington made as a special production run a couple of years ago. I had a Win M70 .264 years ago and quite stupidly sold it and have wanted another for some time. I have a good selection of bullets from 95gr to 140gr and can't wait to play with her, should be a screamer.

Anyway, I bought it from Don's Hobby Guns in Kearney, NE, phone number 308-234-6358. The price was right, $699 plus $24 shipping, total of $723 which is about $150-$200 less than any others I could find. He has some more of them if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Andy

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two ruger 77 stainless model 264s.I wish they had 26 " barrels otherwise they are perfict.I bought up a ton of H870 powder which it loves.I use Lapula 155 gr mega tip bullets they are accurate and work good.I hope to try reloader 25 powder.I have shot alot of less than 1/2" groups with the 155 gr lapula and h-870.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try this load. This round is a killer... thanks

quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
I have two ruger 77 stainless model 264s.I wish they had 26 " barrels otherwise they are perfict.I bought up a ton of H870 powder which it loves.I use Lapula 155 gr mega tip bullets they are accurate and work good.I hope to try reloader 25 powder.I have shot alot of less than 1/2" groups with the 155 gr lapula and h-870.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a Rem. 700 PSS in .223 Rem. bored out to Ackley. 6 - 14x 40mm Springfield Rangefinder scope on it. Couldn't warm up to .223 Ackley. And so I sold it.

Bought another, 26" bbl. .308 Win. Leupold 6.5 - 20x 50 mm Mil Dot Mark 4. Jewell trigger set at about 6 oz. I can warm up to .308 Win, although 264 Win. would be good too.

Heavy rifle, off a bench. That's my addiction.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the days of my going to school at VT(Va Tech for those of you in Rio Linda) I used to work (for nothing other than components and deals on guns) at a small gun shop at nights. We had a Remington 700 in 264Mag come in there that in my opinion got mis labeled and shipped...............musta been outta the Custom Shop with the piece of wood that was on it!! I wanted it so bad but did not take it home. We had a 700 BDL in 6mm come in that I AM SURE was mis labeled due to the figure in the wood on that one! I took that one home! Most beautiful rifle I have ever owned!! Damn tree must have been still green when they inletted the stock!! Shoot it today and it was fine. Shoot it tomorrow and the thing was no longer floated. Float it, shoot it, FINE! Tomorrow same deal!! Often wondered if that 264 would have been the same way. Other than the fact it would have probably needed rebarreling at about 1200 rounds, it could have probably been a "once in a lifetime gun"! 264's are hellacious in what they can do!! But most folks could do as well or better with a GREAT 25-06 or .270 or .280 or 7mmMag. And later they brought out the .260 Remington. Same bullets, just not all the headaches of the 264WinMag and barrels last longer, accuracy out to 1000 is unquestioned and one doesn't get the DS beat out of oneself when shooting!! How dead is dead?? 2800fps vs 3100fps and the game just dies without regard to velocity of projectile that eliminated them. Just my thoughts. GHD PS: I love all cartridges and think whatever anyone wants to shoot and it excites them is just fine. I just like rifles!!

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:

Cheers,
Andy

I once passed on mid to late 60s G&H sporter assembled around old Winchester 70 action simply because it was chambered for .264magnum. If it was 7mm Remington I would have bought it. Before you buy one of these make sure it's what you really want because if you decide to sell it there will be few takers. Most guys out there prefer 7mm Remington or .300 Winchester magnum.