Tools

6mm 250
 Login/Join

posted
can anyone help me to get some info onthis cal. thanks hogger

Posts: 12 | Location: cen pa | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I've got one - an ultralight I built on a 700 SA for antelope and small deer. Pac-nor barrel. Loves H414 and Re15 and Nosler 95 BT. You can find some very good data at www.hodgdon.com

Mine is a 9" twist, but I'm using the heavier bullets. An 11 or 12 will work if it's only for varmint weight bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a fashionable wildcat for target shooting. Most of those rifles are twisted 1-8 for long range.

Otherwise I see no advantage in the cartridge. Either get a 243 or even the 6mm Br has factory brass if you want a lower capacity cartridge.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something to consider is that Lapua makes brass for the Tubb version (6mm XC).
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hogger,
The April , 2001 issue of Varmint Hunters Magazine had an excellent article on the 6mm-250. It included load data on several different bullets, best powders to use and velocity informatin as well as a number of other interesting pieces of information. You can buy a single copy by calling the Home Office at: 605-224-6665 I think it would be worth the time and effort to try that source if you want a thorough "run down" on that cartridge.

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info , been looking to build something a little diff., for 1-500yd bench shooting that wouldnt be a barrel burner. looks like i found it. keep the info coming im lovin it thanks again , hogger

Posts: 12 | Location: cen pa | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The army play with a 6mmint(6x250) back in the late 50's for a 300meter rifle and Rem offered it in the 40x for awhile. Tubbs is using a 6X(6x22-250) with a 1/8 twist barrel and doing pretty well and has been alot of different cases based on the 6x22-250. A 6HLS (6x22-250)was used as a hunter benchrest rifle. Funny how things come full circle. I'm having a 6x22-250 done up with a 1/14 twist barrel for the 68 gr match bullets. I own three 243 but they are barrel burner so using the 6x250 it doesn't have that problem. I used to shot a 6HLS and had pretty good luck with it. I've heard the 6x250AI is a pretty good round also and that may be my next one. Hope this info helps

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Post over in Wildcats. It's a fairly common wildcat, so somebody ought to have one.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hogger,

I have used a 6mm Intl. since the early 60's for position match shooting to 200 yds. It's very good for that but it requires a form die. If forced to change cartridges I would go with the 6mm Br up to 600 yds and maybe more.

I would choose the 6mm/250 over the 6mm Intl. for any purpose but I am not going to change now.

It's all a matter of recoil. Even the 6mm Intl. is a little much in a long match. My rifle weighs almost 16 lbs. with iron sights.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote