THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    25-06...Hornady 117gr SPBT Factory Ammo

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06...Hornady 117gr SPBT Factory Ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Could someone shooting the 25-06 Hornady 117gr SPBT Factory Ammo measure the Length-to-Ogive or COAL for me, PLEASE tu2

Thanks!

LB

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
25-06 standard SAAMI COAL is 3.25"...most of my 25-06's worked near this length, plus or minus 0.025" or so...didn't matter the brand...but you do have to fiddle with the length to ge the best accuracy.

You need to do the measuring on YOUR rifle to be certain...it might have a longer/shorter throat.

Get a piece of quarter inch or smaller BRASS welding rod...slide the rod down the barrel until it stops against the COCKED bolt face so you don't stop on top of the firing pin...mark the rod at the end of the barrel....

Drop a bullet into the chamber and tap it gently so it won't fall out...YOU HAVE TO MEASURE EACH TYPE/BRAND/WEIGHT OF BULLET...

Slide the rod back down the barrel utill it touches the bullet tip and mark the rod again...USE THIN MARKS...

Then measure between the marks ON THE BARREL END side of the mark...

This will be the MAX OAL INTO THE LANDS for THAT SPECIFIC BULLET IN THAT SPECIFIC RIFLE CHAMBER...

Look on the Sinclair or Midway site and copy one of the bullet length gauges...or better yet buy one, their cheap!!!!

To make a guage for the 'quarter boar...drill a 3/16" hole in a piece of any hard material deep enough for the bullet to go into without the nose sticking out the opposite side. Drop it over the bullet, measure from the bullet base to the end of the guage with a caliper, subtract the thickness of the guage and you have the length of the bullet to the ogive.

Better yet and much simpler...size a case just enough to reduce the neck...about 1/16"...seat a bullet out long in the case...insert into the chambert and close the bolt gently...this will seat the bullet into the lands and push it back and give you the MAX COAL...AGAIN FOR THAT RIFLE ONLY.

All my 25-06's shot best seated about 0.010" short of the lands...didn't matter WHAT SAAMI had to say.

There is lots of information and pictures on how to do this procedure scattered all over the net...do some searching and you will find lots of good information.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FOOBAR,

That was very nice of you to outline the details! tu2

I appreciate it!!!!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote