New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 WSM
 Login/Join

<Mike Anderson>
posted
I know some on this forum for reasons unknown don't like the new cartridges the WSM's and ultras for whatever reason.

So...

I thought I had to share this because not much is being mentioned on the 6.5 WSM round.

A friend has just gotten a 6.5 WSM and worked up some loads and had to call me.

Try 3500fps with a 120grain sierra matchking and under 1" groups at 300 yards.

This is from a gun designed to be a mountain type hunter. A #4 lilja , rem700 action etc.

I say the 6.5 WSM is a keeper!!!

Regards
Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi all

Just had to ask. Is the 6.5 WSM a factory offering or is it a wildcat?

Thanks

Jim

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At this time Winchester is catologing a 300, a 7mm and a 270WSM. No 6.5 yet.
Rick

Posts: 236 | Location: Adirondack Mountains of NY | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Rumors I've been privy to say that Win is going with a couple of short short magnumbes next year. In a 22 and a 6.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
3500 for the 120 is cooking. My 6.5-08 will only run the 120's at 3150, and that is probably loaded right at the max.
Has he tried any of the Lapua 123 Scenar's? So far they have been the most accurate in my target rifle and have a really excellent BC.
The 120's do decent but have such a low BC that they are disappointing at longer distances. Sierra lists something around .42 for them but my calculations based upon chronograph velocity and bulet drop to 500 yards indicates an actual BC of pretty close to .37 from my rifle. Maybe my software doesn't calculate BC in the same manner as Sierra.

one of us
posted Hide Post
when the WSM line first came out, there was rumor that 6.5 would be released sometime in 2002-2003, yet so far i've only seen midway's chamber reamers.

[ 10-09-2002, 00:46: Message edited by: Curtis_Lemay ]

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have worked with 4 different .264 Winchesters, that cartridge having a few grains more powder space than the WSM. Out of a 26" barrel, 3300 to 3350 fps with a 120 grain is near the top velocity, even with optimum powders (going as slow as WC 872). Acheiving 3500 fps out of the WSM case would necessitate pressures substantially above those regarded as maximum working pressures.

You can bend our ears, but you just can't bend the laws of physics that far.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got my chrony, so no BS. I don't think that's possible SAFELY. A fellow that probably knows more than I do is telling me that he gets 3350 with 120 BT's. He also said my loads and his loads max very close to the same in fps and grains. I am not calling you a liar, but I have one, and I don't think it's possible. I posted my loads in the reloading column. I wasn't at all interested in shooting any 120's, but will invest in some to see what gives. Mine has a Lilja #3 contour and goes out the door at 8.65 lbs with a 26" tube.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
I tell you what, I know alot of people on here must originate from Missouri (show-me)

I am simply passing on what one of my best friends comments were, whether you believe it or not i really don't give a damn.

The only thing that could be incorrect here is the chrony.

And since 2 chronograghs measured anywhere from 3450 to over 3550, using different units.

All I have to say is you guys (who doubt) aren't as slick as you think you are. Your spending too much time at the computer and not enough in development.

Regards
Mike

This kinda got me irritated, I just looked at some of the data for 257 weatherby, people are pushing the 120 grains in that smaller caliber at 3300-3400+ so why would you not think a larger bore could not do the same when powder capacity is not an issue?

[ 10-11-2002, 16:50: Message edited by: Mike Anderson ]

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike, lighten up, I don't think anyone means you ill will. There are so many factors in achieving velocity from a given barrel. As long as your buddy is using a crono I have no reason to doubt you.
I am getting almost 2900fps w/ a 160gr in my .280 from a 23"bbl. I have checked the crono using known loads, so I know it is within spec. It sounds like the 6.5WSM blows away the 6.5x.284 by a good margin. Is your friends rig a custom job & what length bbl. is his #4?

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike-

You shouldn't get so pissed off. I am only a 30 year old kid, and I do have better stuff to do than type. I just surf briefly during work. I do try and do my loading and testing as empirically as possible. I have already blown several primers and had to beat the bolt open twice. The most I've gotten out of a 140 grain bullet was today at 3243 fps. This was with Retumbo, which may be a bad lot as the shot-to-shot extreme varied greatly. Why don't you share his load and I'll see what my gun does with it???????

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote