THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    6.5 129 SST - 9 Twist Short Barrel

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 129 SST - 9 Twist Short Barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has any one got these to shoot in a 1-9 twist barrel? If so what was your recipe? Ive tried several different powders with no luck. Best I can do is about 1 1/2" @100 yards. The gun is capable of doing better and does. Thanks

Posts: 161 | Location: hoosierville | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Horn-Harvester:
Has any one got these to shoot in a 1-9 twist barrel? If so what was your recipe? Ive tried several different powders with no luck. Best I can do is about 1 1/2" @100 yards. The gun is capable of doing better and does. Thanks

I use a 1:8.5" twist for the 142 SMKs in my 6.5x284 and it also shoots the 100 grain BTs well under MOA so the 9 twist should work fine for the 129 SST.

Your gun may just not like that bullet.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
What cartridge are you using?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
What powders have you tried? I am guessing you have a .260 in a mod 7 with the 20 barrel? I have had good groups with these bullets in a 9 twist 22" barrel Rem mountian with a couple of powders. I am thinking it might be the distance to the lands more so than your barrel length or twist rate. Mine shoots them best at almost max mag length.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The gun is capable of doing better and does. Thanks

Real question here, but how do you know it does better? What bullets/cases/powders were used to get it shoot better? Does your barrel just need a good cleaning?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Its a 260 Rem. The gun is a Savage Striker with brake with 12" barrel. Ive tried WMR, 4831, Varget and I4350 and the best is 1.5" @ 100 yards. This gun shoots 1/2" @ 200 yd with 120 Nos BT. I think the barrel is just to short to stabilize the long 129 SST. I frequent a lot of hunting - shooting boards and it seems very few people can get these to shoot under 1". I was just wondering if one of you had a short barreled rifle and got them to shoot 1" or better. Thanks,

Posts: 161 | Location: hoosierville | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The shortest barrel is my 20" on the 6.5-284 and it works with AA4350 and the 129 Hornady, so I guess I am not much help. IMR 4831 also works with that bullet in my 264Win Mag. Both have 1:9, but are not that short.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote