Notify
Tools

Sako A-I Vixen 223
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted
Gentlemen,

I recently purchased a Sako in 223 Rem. It is built on a A-I action and has a sporter barrel. It does have the origional box(serial numbers match) with it and the model is a Vixen. I am have a tough time finding out about this rifle. The serial number is 1821xx.

I thank you very much for any insight, experience or knowledge you may have concerning this rifle. I typically go for the bigger bore rifles, but this one came along with a 12x Burris scope with fine crosshairs and it is such a good looking rifle, I couldn't pass it up! Thanks

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1218 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have one neat little rifle. Sako was sold in the US by Garcia among others over the years. I have a 223 built on the same action, though mine started as an H&R sporter in 222. Someone has done some work on the subject at Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAKO Handy little guns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The small action Sakos are neat guns. i have a number of A1 action guns, 221,222, 223, 22PPc and a 17 Rem. All are custom and shoot very well.
You have a very fine rifle.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2640 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought one just like it, s/n 178xxx. Sweet little rifle. If you think of trading it I'd be interested. I have a custom Sako in .284 that I'm looking to trade

Posts: 325 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 11 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys,

I thank you for your responses. I am very happy with the rifle, watch out groundhogs!

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1218 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stone Creek on AR is the resident Sako expert, try sending him a PM.

Posts: 10268 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everybody has already told you everything you need to know.

Now for some things you don't need to know: The A-1 succeeded the very similar L461 action (both rifles were called "Vixen") and was imported by Stoeger during the early to mid-1980s (you'll find the Stoeger Arms import mark just in front of the fore end on the underside of the barrel). Earlier SAko importers were Garcia and prior to that, Firearms International. Current Sakos are imported by Beretta.

The A-I differs very slightly from the L461, having a shrouded cocking piece and a very slightly longer bolt handle. Sometimes you'll find an A-I with a synthetic magazine follower.

The medium action Sakos (.243/.308) were called A-II or L579 (Forester), and the long actions were A-III/A-V or L61R (Finnbear).

The A-I/ L461 was available in standard sporter, Deluxe sporter, heavy barrel varmint, and full stock Mannlicher carbine.

I've never seen an A-I/L461 in any caliber (.222, .223, .222 Magnum) that wasn't outstandingly accurate. They were also chambered in .17 Rem and the PPC cartridges. A few rare ones were sold in Europe in 7.62x39. I'll be taking my A-I .223 turkey hunting tomorrow with slightly reduced loads using 55 grain FMJs.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a Sako Collectors Club in the MSN Groups.

Also you might find some intrest in this site:
www.SAKO.fi