New
Find
Notify
Tools

My next gun.....
 Login/Join

<vibrasonic9>
posted
I'm havin' trouble makin' up my mind, but have pretty well settled on the Winchester Feathgerweight in 6.5 X 55. I have a Swede now, but it's a Kimber sporterized 96...okay gun, but I feel certain I can get better accuracy with a new gun and I just love the Featherweight's looks.

I have 3 Ruger M77MKII rifles, .25-06 Rem., .280 Rem., and .338 Win. Mag.; they all shoot great. I figured I'd sell the Kimber 96 and get another (new) 6.5 X 55. I also have rifles in .308, .30-06 and .44 Mag..........given the calibers I have already, what would you choose?

P.S. I'm not really interested in .22 caliber stuff so those are not really a consideration.

Rod

------------------
Rod's Place

<Gary Rihn>
posted
Rod-

Looks like you've got the middle to top end covered pretty well. How about a 243?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree w/ Gary,
243 and 243 AI (just for fun) are great varmint / small game rifles. 243's also have less recoil and are cheaper to reload than your 25-06.

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you like 6.5mm cal, you might give a consideration into looking into the 6.5WSM when it comes out next year.

just a thought.

------------------
When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
I have a 6.5x55 Tikka with the target style stock and it is a joy to shoot; no recoil and accurate. I guess it depends what you plan on using it for as the 6.5x55 will never be a magnum, just not enough case capacity, but on the other hand do you need a magnum? I use mine for targets and coyotes and it is great for that