New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Grendel info needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm intrigued by the ballistics and what I've read so far. But confused over what the case is derived from. Is it simply a 7.62x39 necked down or are there other changes. Is it a PPC necked up? How does the PPC differ, other than in calber, from the 7.63x39?

Thx.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
http://www.65grendel.com/

what are you contemplating? Bolt gun? Semi auto?

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm planning on building it on a Savage short action. Just opened up the bolt face last nite. Very easy operation to open the face and refit the extractor.

So, the Grendel is essentially the 22 or 6mm PPC necked up? And they differ from the Russian in that the shoulder is slightly further back?

thx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a idea, but the new 6,5x47 lapua could be a better option. Its ballisticly better then the 6,5 grendel, and it fits with the 308 bolt head.

As you know, you would have to get a smith to do work on the bolt, costing $$.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big-foot
posted Hide Post
Yes it's the 6.5PPC with the shoulder moved slightly foreward. Nice to start out with the 6mmPPCs great primer hole/case diameter geometry huh? However, the reamers are proprietary, some gunsmiths are licenced to chamber barrels though.

For a hunting gun it pretty closely matches the 250 Savage.

For defense it kills gel blocks just as well as the 6.8SPC does.

And I hear that 1000 yd shooters are doing good with it. Ahem, with the same bullets that work well for defence.

Cheap Wolf ammo is coming out soon, brass case loaded with SP bullets.

That's quite a lot of performance from a little 35 grain case. It like to chamber a 5 lb. Kel-Tec SU-16 for it.

Older Savages have tough time feeding short PPC cases but the new centerfeed magazines work well with them. Fred at Sharp Shooters Supply is working on a mod to fit the new magazine to older Savages like mine. He's a great guy and the leading Savage smith/parts supplier, give him a shout. He has PPC magazines and bolt heads too if others don't have a lathe available.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Cartridge Specifications

Case length: 38.7mm or 1.524"
Case rim: .441"
Case rim thickness: 0.059"
Case base: .439"
Case shoulder diameter: .428"
Case taper: 0.65¡ each side
Case shoulder angle: 30¡
Case maximum loaded neck diameter: .293"
Maximum loaded overall length (OAL) in 6.5 Grendel-specific AR15 magazines: 2.265"
Maximum peak operating pressure: 50,000 psi. Note: The peak pressure of factory ammunition is restricted by the safe, long-term operating limits of the AR15 platform.
Usable case capacity with a 123gr Lapua Scenar bullet seated magazine length is 30.0 grains of BLC2 powder

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
This is as close to a '6.5BR' as you can get, and in factory ammo/Lapua brass to boot. Within 1.5 grain capacity I believe. It is a nice round, and in the lONGER test barrels achieved those published specs, usually 24" I believe, shorter barrels would not suffer alot in this round, good expansion ratio.

I DO believe now that the 6.5x47 has come out, it would be very hard not to seriously consider that round. Holds a few more grains of powder and closes the gap to about 95% of a 260/6.5x55. Can throat long and still feed in short action. Grendel will have a little longer barrel life. Of course for practice or even short range loads you could reduce load the larger cartridges as Seafire has done.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big-foot
posted Hide Post
Uncle Enfield, I just found a rental reamer on the Grendel forum. It looks like Bill Alexander is loosening up on the proprietary rights to get more people shooting it, very good news. http://www.reamerrentals.com/