Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keeping .22-250 subsonic
 Login/Join

posted
Just read with interest Seafire's Blue Dot Range Report for the 22-250. Has anyone ever loaded a 22 caliber centerfire round to be subsonic, 1000 fps. If so, what was your formula and what kind of results did you get?

Just a thought,

Art

Posts: 26 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 28 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
welcome art, whats the point ?
its like trying to throttle down a top fuel racer.
The 22/250 is a race horse 4000f/s is not uncommon

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
only reason i can think of is keep a 223 heavy bullet subsonic for a silencer

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Some muppet of a writer in the UK wrote a whole two page spread on down loading the 223 to sub-sonic velocities for use with a silencer - which are legal over here. Talk about a complete exercise in futility.

Just by a box of sub-sonic ammo for the .22lr. Job accomplished. Or am I missing something important??

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

No particular reason other then curiousity. I've pushed 40, 50 and 60 grain bullets to their upper limits, I just thought it would be interesting to test their accuracy at the low end.

Art

Posts: 26 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 28 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
whats the point ?

We are reloaders, we'll beat it to death just to prove it can be done, that's why.

Just adds more flavor to the hobby. Big Grin

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
art, the slowest thing I can find is 7.7grs of red dot. 55gr gr cast bullet. 1700f/s

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
your on the right track with fast powder try clays for sub sonic 223 best results from 5.7x28 because of small case

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesI ran the experiment some time ago for someone on this forum. 3 gr. of Blue Dot produced velocities between 700 to 900 fps. Only one bullet out of three struck the target and it key holed.roger thumbdown

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I bet the bullet keyholed and the others missed the target because of their bullet weight.. I be they were 55 grainers or so...

The velocity didn't give the bullets enough rpms to stabilize with the one in 14 twist...
for subsonic stabilization, one really needs a 1 in 16 twist like a 22 Rimfire has...

Smaller grained bullets like the 40s or 35 grainers would probably stabilize with the one in 12 or 1 in 14...

I used some 37 grain HP Calhoon's which stabilized and were fairly accurate at 50 yds with both the 223 and the 22.250....

Of course I could be wrong.. it wouldn't be the first time seafire got things 'backasswards'.... how ever, I am good enough to admit it, and that is why I do a lot of experimenting... kinda real world proves or disproves it...

I see applications for 223's and 22.250s to be shot at rimfire speeds sometimes.. in the normal course of just target shooting or sage rat shooting....more accurate than some rimfires, and you can use the bullets you want...

with 55 grain FMJs, it can be cheaper to shoot than a 22 mag, and more accurate.. I can see a lot of application in that...

In a heavy barreled varmint rifle, it really takes a long time to heat up the barrel and not long for it to cool down....
and can be just fine when the distances of the major part of your shooter is within 100 yds...

just be prudent on your loading technics.. seat each bullet after charging a case, before going on to the next one...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
You'll need to stick with the lighter bullets, as they heavier ones tumble. When I had a 218 mashburn contender pistol I loaded in both directions, max and min.

For subsonic loading you'll need to stick to the faster powders and use a dab of dacron or cotton over the powder if you want consistant velocities.

It's certainly a good learning experience. You'll probably come to the conclusion most of us do that it's a more time consuming and expensive way to get 22rf performance. You also might find it's very tough to get peak accuracy. The main difficulty is you need to have exactly the same powder charges and filler weight, and assemble the powder/filler consistantly. With such small charges, a tenth of a grain makes a difference. You're looking at charges that are 1/3 of that of a hornet, and the hornet is already criticle of charge weights.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback. Think I will try the Blue Dot or Unique with a 40 gr bullet.

Art

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtD:
Thanks for all the feedback. Think I will try the Blue Dot or Unique with a 40 gr bullet.

Art

Please post your findings. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have loaded slower loads for 22-250,240wby,308 win,30-06 and 30-30 use cast loads from lyman book and using jacketed bullets instead of cast. was always a good way for me to get new shooters started.

Posts: 29 | Location: mt vernon ohio | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
In a 223 i have used 2.6 grains Vihtavuori N340 and a Lyman 45 RN GC bullet.

Rifle Remington 223 LTR with a 1:9 twist and Hausken silencer.

Very quiet and fairly accurate.

PS. 2.8 grains N340 went BANG.

Posts: 17 | Location: Norway | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Usefulness is in the eyes of the beholder! I used to load 22-250 cases with a CCI 250 primer,.7 gr of Bullseye and stuff a .22 cal pellet in the neck and shoot those #$$%^&*&^% noisy Myna birds off the roof. No noise and no Mynas either [after awhile that is].

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Mark, those 22 pellet loads are pretty amazing.

I loaded up ~1/2 gr of unique under a dab of tp and an inverted benjaming pellet for the kids to shoot their 223 int the garage. The report isn't much more than a clack. I figured a 1/4" sheet of ply would be a suitable backstop, but I was wrong, it blew clean through it and put several dings in the garage door.

Fortunately I insulated the door just after that indident so mom is none the wiser as to what the boys were up to dancing

I think we'll be better off sticking to airsoft guns in the garage, but man those plastic bb's are everywhere clap

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 'rimfire' loads in my 221 Fireball, 204 Ruger, 223 and 222 Rem Mag. I no longer even own a rimfire, as I can do all I need the the downloaded centrefires.

Posts: 106 | Location: Oz..... | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote