New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tight CZ!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just took delivery of a new CZ 550 American in 6.5 Swede. This is my second CZ; I couldn't be happier with my first chambered in 9.3x62. This gun, though, seems REAL tight. Chambering seems fine, but when I rotate the bolt down to lock it in, it seems to require quite a bit of force....about the same when removing the unfired round. I was loading Hornady Lt. Mags....Haven't had time to load any up yet. Anybody have this experience? I'm going to the range later this week, but I'm a little surprised by the effort required to rotate the bolt. Any responses would be appreciated.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't own a CZ but here are my thoughts

The Hornady LM is highly, highly compressed and in thin brass - the rounds may be swollen.

You may have a tight CIP chamber which does not like fat SAAMI ammunition

Try standard non LM rounds which will also allow a kinder break in.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I have some unfired Norma brass that I'm going to reload as soon as my supply of RL-19 is refreshed. I'll check that brass against the Hornady. Thanks, again.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Had the same problem when I picked up my new CZ 527 varmint rifle.Gunsmith said he just buffed and cleaned up the bolt a little.Hope this helps.

Posts: 3 | Location: Mich | Registered: 12 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington 700 Classic in 6.5x55. It's far and away my favorite caliber. I use it successfully on moose in Ontario with a 160gr. bullet. I find it a very accurate chambering with the Scandanavian components like VihtaVouri 550 and 560 powders and Lapua bullets. The Lapua Scenars in 108, 123 and 139grs are especially accurate, but they aren't hunting rounds.
For field use I'd recommend the Hornady 129gr. PSP and the Sierra 160gr. SP. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, gents, for all the help. When I loaded up some with Norma brass, the gun was smooth as silk. I've tried 3 different bullets...the 125 Nosler Part., the 129 Hornady, and the 120 Barnes XLC (coated). With 51.5 gr of RL-19 and the Barnes 120, I'm gettting exactly the advertised velocity (3100 fps) and 3 shot groups that touch....5 shot groups that go less than 1" at 100 yds. I've found my favorite. The Lt. Mags that were a little stiff closing the bolt ran real close to advertised velocity...about 2720 fps and shot real nice too. The Barnes load is going to Texas next Friday for Corsican Ram and Sika deer. Wish me luck. Thanks, again...the input was appreciated.

Gary