New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 6.5x284 question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
thanks for the reply i think that i will just buy a custom action and have it built. it will take a little longer to save the funds but i think i will be happier in the long run.....

Posts: 45 | Location: TENNESSEE | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like Fred said, I would recommend a long action. However being a handloader, just as Fred found out with the 260 AI,
a 6.5 x 284 won't give you much if any more velocity, but will give you faster throat erosion.

A handloaded 6.5 x 55, or 6.5 x 57 ( or the AI version of the latter) will give you the same velocity that you can get out of the 6.5 x 284.

If you are using it for a custom bench gun or for long range shooting, a single shot would not be an imposition. The action length then would not be that critical at all.

The bullet being seated out long definitely helps the accuracy and these 6.5 bullets especially in a match bullet are very long bullets. My 6.5 x 57 Target rifle is built on a long action Winchester with a heavy sporter barrel on it.

Also make sure you get a one in 8 twist instead of a one in 9 if you plan on shooting 140 grain or up target bullets.

With the aerodynamics of a 6.5 mm target match bullet, you really don't need a lot of extra velocity for long shots. A little research on the subject will tell you that.

I am waiting to get a Savage 112 BVSS with an accu trigger that I am rebarreling to a 6.5 x 55 target rifle. that was my pick of caliber for that project. Its intended purpose will be competition at 600 and 1,000 yds.

At least when I do poorly in competition, we can't blame it on the rifle or the caliber,!!!

good luck with the project.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote