New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR-15 mags.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone tell me, Will preban mags work on post ban guns?
Why I'm asking is I know a guy that has some pre- ban mags For a bushmaster. He has some 30's and some 40's and he does'nt want squat for them. He is selling them cheap. I was thinking of picking a couple up. Also, will standard Ar-15 mags work in the DPMS. Like can a person use his bushmaster mags in a DPMS?

Anyhelp would be very appriciated.

DuB

Posts: 52 | Location: North Central, MO | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely no problem with pre-ban mag in a post ban receiver. One of the beauties of the AR is its compatibility between makes. Except in rare occasions, a lack of fit between components is a sign of lousy parts, nothing else.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy all the 30's you can. I've never tried 40's. I don't care for the plastic ones but I don't think I've ever had a 30 rounder not work in about 15-20 different AR's that have passed through my hands......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not all ar mags are the same. If they're high caps selling for cheap,then chances are,they're garbage after market. Stick with Nato or israeli made and you won't have problems.
Go to ar15.com and do a search of nato mags.

There are also some 40's running around,that are made from two 20's being welded together.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
20 rd mags are much more usuable, in my opinion. I have several 30s, and they've always functioned well, but the length makes them difficult to shoot off the bench or in field situations. The best are the GI issue Colt steel mags.

As for 30 rounders, the Isreali plastic models have always performed very well.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote