Find
Notify
Tools

Keltec SU-16A Report
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted
Well I picked up the Su-16A model the other day, just because it was there when I stopped by the gun shop. I mean come on, I don't have a .223 so I really "needed" this one. It weighs about what a .223 should weigh, about 5 pounds which is the main reason I like it. Except for the Carbon 15 which is running $250-300 more all the other AR types I've handled felt really overweight. I shot about 80 rounds through it yesterday with the open sights, then last night mounted a 1.75-5 Tasco World Class that I had laying around in the garage. Went to the range today to try some different loads and sight it in, this was the best group:

That was sitting at 50 yards. Now you'll be asking what load gave that group. But a cetain big damn dummy forgot to mark the loads on each target so can't remember. I shot 4 different loads from Winchester white box and USA, weights from 50-62 grains. About 100 rounds total today, no failures of any sort yesteday or today.

I will have to say that the Kel-Tec mags just plain suck. They are a pretty soft plastic and when you get 10 rounds in them they bow out severely, the least little bump and they spew the top 3-4 rounds out. Luckily it takes standard GI M-16 mags so I will pick up a few of those at the gunshow next weekend.

All in all it's an excellent plinker for the money, you can usually find them for around $429-$459. It's eally quite a little marvel of engineering, I was impressed with the design when I took it down to clean it the first night.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Its got a write up in the June issue of American Rifleman.They give it an average spead of 1.94@ 100 yards.The 8lbs.,2oz. trigger must suck.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Mine might be a production error, I haven't checked with a scale yet but I'm guessing 5.5-6 pound pull. Definately not target grade but resonably clean, it almost feels like a two stage trigger, take up the slack with maybe 1-2 pounds then a pretty clean break as you apply more pressure.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had one of these little things for a bit now, & am suprised at how well it shoots. 100% agreement on the mags. Mine fell apart in less than 50 rounds. The other thing about them is the scope mount rail. I'ts compressible, so you have to double check the tightness of your rings once in awhile. Other than that, I've found it be a great under the seat cratblaster

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote