Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra bullets, 224 calibre
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chris Parkin
posted
Can anyone explain the difference between the SMP, SPT and Blitz sierra varmint bullets. I know the Blitzking has a polymer tip but thats no wht im after, its the other three i need info about.

thanks guys
chris

Posts: 63 | Location: Yorkshire, England | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
SMP = Semi-Pointed
SPT = Spitzer
Blitz = Thinner jacket and won't take velocities much above .223/low .22-250.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I have e-mailed Sierra on this subject. They informed me that in .224 the only difference between the SMP and SPT is the shape of the nose. Core content and jacket thickness are identical.

I have found that in 55 grain weight in my .223 the SMP does open a little quicker than the SPT.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you are looking for, but my experience with the Blitz has not been good at all. Most of them were coming apart or vearing off ten or more feet from the intended target, even in my .223. The ones that held together, were not accurate at all. I finally pitched the last couple hundred I had.

The most accurate bullet I have found is the Sierra Varminter, number 1360 for 55 gr. and 1330 for 50 gr. It is a flat base, exposed lead tip and it outshoots anything else I have tried.

Not only that, but compared to the price of the BK, it is a steal.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Yeah, SMP and SPT, the only difference IS the shape of the nose. I.E., semi-pointed and spitzer. They do have the same core contact and jacket.
It's the Blitz that is softer, as stated.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the blitz is not made for 223, in fact 222 velocity sierra says is max. works great in my 218 mashburn bee

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
The Blitz stands for fast! It is a streamlined, sharp pointed bullet. They worked pretty well in my hornet. Hard hitting and accurate with good penetration if bone is not struck (I am talking feral goat). The Blitzking has the same sharp point but is also a boat-tail.

seafire2 says;
quote:
... the bullets to look out for with a fast twist, are the Sierra Blitzs and the Hornady SPSX's...
they won't take the fast twists....they will disintegrate about 10 to 15 feet out of the barrel, unless your MV is dramatically reduced...

Hope this helps.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use the 40 grain BiltzKing in my 221 Fireball with superb results. The Fireball is not as fast as the 223 but crows and ground hogs just explode when hit with this bullet. The BlitzKing bullet over a 1.3cc Lee Dipper Cup full of IMR 4198 has proven to be a very accurate load. FWIW - Another really good powder for the Fireball is RL #7 I haven't had opportunity to shoot a fox or coyote with my BlitzKing load ..... yet..... but I wouldn't hesitate to use it on them.

I just picked up a new Kimber Longmaster Classic in 223 Remington and will definately be paying attention to the results of a BlitzKing load now that I've read this post. I picked up a Value Pack of 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips for the 223 and the first powder I intend to use is Varget.

Posts: 29 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Parkin
posted Hide Post
Well, i got some different sierras to try and worked up a load with some 55gr Blitzkings in my 22BR. Accuracy was good and I was driving them at a fairly modest 3650fps with consistent performance.

I shot a Cottontail rabbit at 110 yards with it, it didnt even expand!!!! went straight through and impacted the banking the rabbit was on. The rabbit bolted down its hole. I have witnesses that saw ther impact which did throw the rabbit some feet backwards.

Now I have a lot of experiance with Hornady V-Max but have tried to pick up on sierra due to availability issues here in the UK. Are the blitzkings substantially less destructive? because i never had a PROBLEM WITH 40, 50 OR 55GR v-MAX not expanding correctly and destructively on quarry from crows to foxes???

Posts: 63 | Location: Yorkshire, England | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Interesting experience, Chris. I used to use Hornady 53gr match bullets in my mini-14 (for accuracy). This bullet did not expand at all. BUT, it would punch a fist-sized hole in my quarry! At your velocities, I would expect bullet expansion to be a bonus. A rabbit that gets thrown backwards by a bullet is not going to run down its hole - unless the backwards 'throw' was due to nervous reaction on the muscles - which I have seen. (In my case it was a 22lr hitting a vervet monkey which somersaulted backwards - sideways to me)! This could indicate the bullet not making an immediately fatal hit?

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Parkin
posted Hide Post
Well, i went out and tested the 55gr Bliztkings on some nice large grapefruit at 150 yards and it absolutely obliterated them so im coming to the conclusion i must just have missed?????????

I have also shot the 40gr HOLLOW POINTS WITH STUNNING ACCURACY AND SPEED AND AT 4000FPS OUT OF A 9" TWIST BARREL, I reckon they will expand with some ferocity lol, Im still a little suprised they held together without blowing in flight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Parkin:
...im coming to the conclusion i must just have missed?????????...
It happens to all of us on occasion.

Good Test which should keep your confidence high when using the Sierras - excellent Bullets.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluedot
posted Hide Post
The blitz is a great bullet you just can't push it to fast or have a rough barrel.
Works great in my 223 contender, I have also used them in my old 788/22-250, I have pushed them to 3600 fps in it, but it has a very smooth barrel.

3-7-77

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
You know Chris, a bullet passing real close to an unsuspecting rabbit is going to give it one helluva fright! Especially when you consider the 'bang' the impacting bullet makes on the ground. It's no wonder that rabbit was 'thrown' backwards. Still, I have seen hits that were so destructive and yet the critter ran! (I'm talking half the chest contents blown out). You might well have scored a good hit.

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
My favorite Sierra 224 bullets are
40 grain HP
60 grain HP
55 grain HP
50, 55 and 63 grain SMP
52 and 53 grain match....

no problems regardless of MV or fast twists...
excellent accuracy...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote