Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

25.06 Rem 700 Mountain Rifle
 Login/Join

posted
I am thinking about buying Subject Rifle. Has anyone got any adevise for me. Negatives/Positives.

Thanks in advance for your comments. JR

Posts: 9 | Location: Manchester, Tn | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Should be a good rifle. I assume you're talking about a new m700 mtn rifle DM? the one with the clip?

I'd reccomend getting the trigger lightened and getting the action glass bedded and the barrel free-floated, that will help in the accuracy of the rifle.

Only downside to the rifle will be the barrel heating up, due to it's thin contour. Should be a fine hunting rifle though.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't mess with the trigger!!! Just replace it with a Shilen or Jewell. If for any reason you may have to send it
back to the factory you can put the factory trigger
back in and will not be charged for a new trigger.
Lyle

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey JR,
I don't have a 700 Mtn Rifle in .25-06 but I do have a 700 Sendero in .25-06 and my son has a Mtn rifle in .260 Rem.
I really like the .25-06 Rem. It seems to be really accurate and the recoil in more than moderate. I harvested a 6 pt whitetail this past season @ 200 yds. The buck was running straight away giving me only a Texas heart shot. I was using the relatively new Barnes Triple Shock bullet; 100 gr pill being pushed by 55.5gr of RL22 and Rem 9.5 Magnum primer. The bullet traveled through the deer and lodged under the hide in his chest. Recovered bullet weight was 99.8 gr and he went straight down. You will have to work in to this load as it may show signs of pressure in other rifles. It shoots one-ragged hole in mine at over 3100 fps.
The only advise I can give you about the Mtn rifle is to shoot it slooowly from the bench. That pencil thin barrel heats fast and groups will grow quickly. With 5 minutes in between shots my sons will shoot the 100gr Noslet Ballsitic Tip under .5" @ 100yds. Best group has been with IMR 4064 at .2565". Good luck in your decision. Johnny K.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JR - I have two, one in 7mm/08 and the other in 280 Rem. Both are great guns. The 7mm/08 is my dedicated whitetail rifle. Light weight, good balance and classic good looks. Trigger tuning and action bedding brought groups to under 1 moa. Go for it!

Posts: 49 | Location: York , PA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote