New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Ruger 77/22 hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A lot of people say the Ruger .22 Hornets are not accurate but, I disagree. Over the years I have tried 4227, 680 and now 2400 powders.
The one I have settled on for use on my 77/22-Hornet is
A MAXIMUM LOAD. My regular load is [45 gr. bullet] 9.7 grains of 2400. You can shoot it all day and cover the groups with a dime.
My "in the city" load for shooting at grooundhogs 25 yards away is 4.1 grains of UNIQUE.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was warned off the Ruger by my Gun dealer as he had sold 5 to other customers and he said they did well to shoot 2" at 50 yards so he sold me a cz 527 Hornet and it shoots tiny little groups after finding the right load using sierra 45 gr .224 hornet bullets. I would trade the ruger in on a cz 527 hornet.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I was warned off the Ruger by my Gun dealer as he had sold 5 to other customers and he said they did well to shoot 2" at 50 yards so he sold me a cz 527 Hornet and it shoots tiny little groups after finding the right load using sierra 45 gr .224 hornet bullets. I would trade the ruger in on a cz 527 hornet.

No offense but your gun dealer lied to you. I would put my Ruger up against the CZ 527 any day when comparing accuracy and workmanship. And that magazine hanging down below the stock catches on ever twig going through the brush. No thanks. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Ruger #3 in 22 hornet and it almost made my mini-14 look like a match rifle. both rifles really sucked big time in the accuracy department

Posts: 110 | Location: Minden , Nebraska | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawdog,

may be he did lie/exagerate but I have known him since I was 13 years old (bought my first gun Brno model 2 .22 lr) and I figure it this way, he could have sold me either and I was leaning towards the Ruger as asthetically it looks nicer. But with his past experience with the ones he sold, he steered me away from them.

In the wash up he would have got my cash for either a Ruger or cz and if I re-call there was bugger all price difference between the two to sway me one way or the other. At any rate my cz shoots great and I have shot a lot of game with it, I have used it for head shooting roo's under the spotlight as well as for foxes and rabbits and I would say I have shot a couple of hundred head of game with it since I bought it two years ago.

My model is the 527 American model and I am fond of the mini mauser action as well.

If someone has a good shooting Ruger .22 hornet then I am happy for them..............and they are lucky and should hang on to it !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote