THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: Savage 12BVSS twist rate ?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Savage 12BVSS twist rate ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Actually 75 grain Hornady HPs and VMaxes work well with that 1 in 9 twist.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just traded for a Savage 12BVSS in .223, and I notice the twist is 1-9", whereas most other .223 rifles have a 1-12" twist. Anyone have any thoughts on Savage's choice of the faster twist? What's the best bullet?

posted Hide Post
Faster twist gives greater accuracy and range. Also, the 1:9 twist allows for heavier bullets, up to 69gr.

Posts: 7 | Location: Va | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 1 in 9" twist seems to shoot the heavier bullets well, something I can't say for Remington. You'd think all manufacturers would make at least some of their .224's with a 1 in 9" twist. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bobby...

I concur with seafire on this...in my 12BVSS, 75 grain V-Maxes yield excellent results...

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote