New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 WSSM VS 6MM PPC
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok guys both are available in the AR15 Platform along with the 6.5mm Grendel from what I can see it looks to me that the 243 WSSM would be flatter than both the others. But as far as accuracy how does the 243 WSSM stack up agaist the 6mm PPC and the Grendel?

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 243 wssm is as accurate as an AR can be.-

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
The WSSM seems to be much harder on barrels I'd suppose than either PPC or 6.5 G.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems that the wssms are pretty much junk. Brass is too thick and doesn't last. Most gun dealers can't get rid of the rifles or ammo.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Brass is too thick and doesn't last.

Doesn't this seem to be confliction in terms? I my experience, all brass can last extremely well as long as it is well matched to the chamber and the die set being used. The WSSM's are no different. I've had two, the 223 and the 25. I did lose a couple of the 223's with less than five firings, but then again that was in a loose factory chamber. The 25 shows no sign whatsoever of early failure and some cases are over ten loadings.

If you want top 6mm velocity, you will be pleased with the 243WSSM. If the project is full blown custom, I would specify a neck that requires substantial turning. This would eliminate any potential problems you may have with neck spliting. Around .270 would be great.

Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gabe, the brass is too thick to fireform to the chamber. Before you get there the brass is shot. Why can't the gunshops sell the wssms and the ammo? They are junk and an advertising scam. Thick brass does not make it long lasting.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The reason the WSSM's have a bad reputation is because Winchester's New Haven plant couldn't build a decent rifle with it. If you look around, the Miroku/Brownings get very few complaints.

WSSM brass is extremely hard, and yes, it can crack if you have a sloppy azzed factory chamber. But, so does any other brass. I've cracked 223Rem brass on the first firing.

As far as not being able to fireform, b.s. FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is what is great about this forum! Everybody has a different idea. Try going to Benchrest.com and doing a search on the 223wssm and others. A lot of experienced people are having nightmares with it.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
couple of thoughts - the wsm is going to be much hotter load (65,000 PSI vs 52,000) shooting more velocity. 6 ppc is more accurate. a good ar platform is capable of 1/2" accuracy. What you may want to thing about is brass. autos to throw braww away & you can't find it all. PPC brass is expensive as all getout, but can be formed from UMC 7.62x39.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
That is what is great about this forum! Everybody has a different idea. Try going to Benchrest.com and doing a search on the 223wssm and others. A lot of experienced people are having nightmares with it.
Butch

and on the long range board at Benchrest.com, several people are reporting using the case to shoot at world class levels......

I have both a 223 WSSM and a 6PPC, match barreled. The WSSM is easier to make shoot and more consistent, day to day.

However, that is a silly azz comparison, because the 223WSSM is not a short range benchrest cartridge. It should properly be compared with other large capacity cases such as the 224TTH, the Swift AI and the 240 Wby. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dutch here is some reading for you. Seems like you posted on one thread.http://www.benchrest.com/forums/search.php?searchid=443982
I didn't see any world class posted there.
Butch