Find
Notify
Tools

Cz 22-250 ???"s
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted
I have ordered, and the dealer has received a CZ 550 American in 22-250. It will be a couple weeks before I can pick up the gun, too many work issues, but had some questions for anyone who has any experience with one of these. While I've owned a couple dozen rifles over the years I've never shot a 22-250 ever, but I think I'd like to shoot as heavy a bullet as possible in the 60gr'ers or more for the small 90-125lb hogs we have around here and other critters...will I have a problem with the 1x14 twist?
Hogzilla if found will get a dose of 9.3 medicine!! but all my buds who a a 22-250 love them and this was an extra that I traded into with a left over 270...what have I got here?
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted Hide Post
I've had problems shooting 60gr bullets in my CZ 550. I have loaded them hot and still couldn't get good accuracy out of them. A slower twist might be what you need.

If it matters though my CZ 550 Varmint loves 45-55gr bullets. It's extremly accurate, and I don't think you can go wrong with a set trigger.

Posts: 182 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 60 grainers probably aren't going to be the best for accuracy in a 1-14. I would try the 53g TSX in it for hogs.

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I thought the 1x14 was a slow twist and the slower twist was the problem in stablizing the heavy for caliber bullets? Looks like bullets and brass is certainly a lot cheaper than the 270, 300Winnie & 9.3 I've been shooting lately so I'll get to experiment more without breaking the bank. Prolly good advice on the TSX's, I'll find out if they will shoot for me.
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Golden
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Weatherby 22-250 and some times use Federal w/60grain NP without a problem. 1-14 twist

Posts: 142 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought the 1x14 was a slow twist and the slower twist was the problem in stablizing the heavy for caliber bullets?

Your right faster twists like a 1-9 will shoot up to 75g bullets they will shoot the 80 SMK but not always acurately, when shooting high power rifle comp. with the 223 we use a 1-8 twist to stabilize the 80g SMK at the 600 yard line. The nice part about the fast twist barrels is that they seem to do as well with lighter bullets as they do with heavy bullets, bad thing is out of a 22-250 if the twist is too fast the bullets won't hold together at the velocities the 250 is capable of.

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bearcat:
The 60 grainers probably aren't going to be the best for accuracy in a 1-14. I would try the 53g TSX in it for hogs.

I agree! cheers

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The often over looked Sierra 63 grain SMP and the Speer 70 grain SMP will stabilize in a 1 in 14 twist in a 22.250.....

Both will also do a deep penetration job for a 22 caliber... especially the 70 grain Speer....

Not trendy, but effective and cheaper than the premium bullets... and I think perform just as good if not better....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 22-250 will shoot the 60 grain Berger's. It has a 1 in 14 twist barrel. The only thing is, it will only shoot them well with a minimum load of Varget. As I moved up in powder charges toward a max load the groups opened up badly. But, with the minimum load of Varget, I shoot 3 shots in 3/8" at 100 yards. My 22-250 is a custom rifle with a Douglas barrel, cases are outside neck turned and I shoot for load development with a 36X Benchrest scope. Loads are assembled in Wilson straight dies with Federal 210M Primers. My most accurate load in the rifle is with 32.6gr of Benchmark and Sierra's 55 gr HPBT; 3 shots in 1/4" at 100.
Benchmark didn't work with the 60gr Berger's.
Don

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by verhoositz:
I have ordered, and the dealer has received a CZ 550 American in 22-250. It will be a couple weeks before I can pick up the gun, too many work issues, but had some questions for anyone who has any experience with one of these. While I've owned a couple dozen rifles over the years I've never shot a 22-250 ever, but I think I'd like to shoot as heavy a bullet as possible in the 60gr'ers or more for the small 90-125lb hogs we have around here and other critters...will I have a problem with the 1x14 twist?
Hogzilla if found will get a dose of 9.3 medicine!! but all my buds who a a 22-250 love them and this was an extra that I traded into with a left over 270...what have I got here?
Ron

did you get your gun yet?? i have some CZ 550 rings I would let go for a good price.

I haven't had much luck with 60's in my 223's or 22-250 of course I have only messed with the 60 grn vmax. I find for varmints the 50grn bullet is the best match for both .22 cals, its quick fast and flat shooting. 50 grain vmax shoots in everything I have tried it in. if you wanna shoot bigger stuff with yoru 22-250 I would try the barnes TSX I think they make a 52grn bullet, I bet it works great at high velocity

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
CC
No not yet, requires a 400+ mile roundtrip road trip but I ordered the gun thru an old friend and former customer down in Central east Texas when I was down in his county during this January on a hog hunt, and it came in couple weeks/months faster than either one of us expected. Send me a PM and let me know what rings you have and so on, if I don't need them I may be able to move them for you down here. CZ's are beginning to take off. My buddy sold my "left over" nib 550 270 in three days.
Ron

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Verhoozits
I've had my 22/250 and been loading for it since 1977. I've shot a lot of Deer and Antelope with it over the years and have come to some definite conclusions about what bullets to use. I tried all of the heavy ones 63 gr Sierra and 70 gr Speers and 60 grain bullets of all kinds of makes and models. All of the previously mentioned bullets although accomplished the job did so with so so results and lots of fragmenting bullets. As soon as I started using the Barnes X bullets in the 52 and 53 grain I had definitely found what I was looking for. I've not tried the Nosler Partition or the trophy Bonded Bear Claws I think both come in 60 gr weights and they may do well, but I've seen some incredible performance from the Barnes X's enough so that there is not need to look further in my opinion.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote