New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 /Mule Deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is your opinion on good muley loads ? I will be using 140 Partitions for elk. Wondering if it is worth the extra investment on 120 Ballistic Tips......... or should I stick with the 140's also. Thanks for any and all input.

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stick to the 140. That has high SD and BC so it holds it's velocity well and will penetrate well when it hits.In a modern gun you should be able to get as high as 2850 fps with the 140.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I don't see any extra investment, but nothing wrong w/ your 140gr bullets. If you wanted to work up a practice/deer load using 140gr Rem CL, they would make a great deer load.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot will depend on your barrel's twist rate. My Remington Classic in 6.5x55 has a 1 in 9" twist and doesn't do very well with the 140gr. bullets. The 1 in 8" are much more accurate. I'm not certain why Remington chose this twist. It's not the best choice. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
You can stick with your 140 load and not worry about a thing. I use 140s almost exclusively in the 6.5s and have complete confidence in them on any deer-sized game and have taken quite a few hogs as well. I have found, however, that the premiums aren't necessary as the long slender bullets with high sectional densities penetrate extremely well when launched at 6.5x55 or .260 velocities.

Cal-I had a Rem 700 Classic in 6.5x55 several years ago and had no problems with accuracy with the 140s. The only 140 that was a little finicky was the Rem PSP-CL, but that's due to the dual-diameter design -- and that can be remedied by varying the seating depth.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have gotten to the stage in my life that if it doesn't say "Nosler Partition" on it, I don't load it. The exception is varmint bullets-but I'm still suspect there too.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with 140g Partitions for both, and there are real advantages to using one load.

I'm still working up good loads with my M70 Featherweight, but so far I'm encouraged. I always start with Hornady (in this case 129g SP) to determine whether the rifle's worth spending time, effort, and dollars on more expensive bullets. It is, with five-shot groups under an inch. Since I don't have elk on my personal horizon, my next bullet will be the 125g Partitions, but it could just as easily be the 140g, if I already had them in my cabinet. Good luck.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
thumbThe 140 gr. Partition as recommended by most so far is the way to go.Using the same load for both mule deer and Elk allows you the same point of aim for given distance. ( reduced confusion factor).

With the 140 gr. REM 2/C and 45gr. of Acc 4350 velocity is 2685fps.with a 3/4" 7 shot group at 100 yds. Military sporterized rifle w/ 3-9 el cheepo scope. Probably could load it hotter but don't see the need.

The modest velocity and the Nosler bullet would in all probability give you a real advantage if you have to take a raking shot. lolroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I load 129 grain Hornady spire points in my 6.5x55 and have never found them lacking. In you case since you already have a load with the 140 gr. Partition I wouldn't waste the money or components looking for something else, because you probably won't find anything better.

We didn't inherit the land from our fathers, we're borrowing it from our children.

Posts: 94 | Location: central pennsylvania | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stay with the 140 gr Nos Part. I use Corelok 140s and they work great too in a 6.5x55 and my 6.5-06 AI. Keep it simple with one load for everything.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BB, If the load works in your rifle.....no need to change!! The Paritions will do just fine on a deer as well as elk!! Just feel "blessed" that the Partitions shoot to your accurracy standards!!!
Shot placement! Shot placement! Shot placement!!! Why did Hornady go away from their old model "Spire Points"???? They worked like a hammer on stuff!! And Sierras "GAME KINGS" were pretty dog-gone(or maybe should say "deer gone") good also!! And seems I remember that both of those came in "100" count boxes!!! Not a fancy-smancy little 50 count plastic box!!! Just a rant on so called "premium bullets"!! Charlie (GHD)

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a lot of 120 grain ballistic tips, as well as the 100 grain Ballistic tips....

For an extra margin of "safety" I'd recommend the 100 or 125 grain Partition....

contrary to all of those who think the best 6.5 mm bullet weight being the 140... I my self prefer the 125 Partition or the 129 Hornady SP....

Each bullet mentioned will do the job of Mule Deer with the correct shot placement....

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BighornBreath,
Excellent choice. I think that the 6.5x55 with 140 grain Partitions is a winning combination for deer if it shoots well. The 120 Ballistic Tip is great on deer as well, but I don't think it is worth the switch for use on deer (you don't have to switch back and forth and rezero between elk and deer season). I haven't noticed any siginicicant advantage (in the real world under hunting conditions) in the flatter trajectory of the 120 BT over the 140 Partitions in the 6.5x55. The 140's shoot plenty flat, penetrate deep, and kill well when they get there. I carry a 6.5x55 for deer, and occasionally for elk, and I always feel better with the 140 grain bullet. Good luck hunting.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I'm taking 129 Hornadys (SP or SST) on my fall deer hunt in MT (with my 6.5x57); my father uses the same in his 6.5x55...

Re19 all the way... thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Guys,

I would say pick one load and stick with nit for both deer and elk.

Personally I would find the 120 BTs a bit light for Wap/Elk sized animals but if you pick your shots you will be fine. On red/mule deer sized animals they are just the ducks nuts but again you must place your shots.

It doesn't matter whether you gut shoot a deer with a 505 Gibbs or a 17 hmr it is still gut shot and the result is the same/ a slow death for a fine animal. Put your shots where they count and they will do the job.

All you have to do is get close enough without the animal knowing you are there then puting a bullet in the heart/lungs and wait for it to fall over. If it ain't going to bite or gore you, you don't have to break shoulders so don't try.

Elk aren't tahr and likely to fall down an ice chute and end up losing them so bangflops aren't an absolute necessity like alpine hunting.

Keep your cool and do your job. The 6.5 will do its as it has for the last 100 years.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 125gr partition is very impressive on bigger deer.

2,850fps with a 140 is hard to obtain, 2,900fps with a 125gr relatively easy.

One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
All great suggestions, but my personal preference would be 100 gr. partitions to 120 gr. SPs for Whitetail, 125 P and 129 Hornady's for Muleys and 140's for Elk. Partition or Accubond. I haven't used the Ballistic Tip on game but I have seen many complain that expansion was a little too rapid.

There is little doubt that a 140 in the Swede will work great for all chores. I handload so it is my nature to tinker! Probably will add a 6.5 X .284 from CZs custom shop in the not too distant future. Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello bobby,

You just may have something there about varying the seating depth with the 140s. My rifle is a Remington Classic and is super accurate with other weight bullets. I'd also recommend the Hornady 129gr. SP. It's an excellent bullet.
Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote