New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 Douglas SS Barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm about to have my Rem 700 25-06 rifle rebarreled with a Douglas premium SS barrel in the #4 sporter contour. The gunsmith doing it recommends Douglas as a good quality barrel. Anyone else out there shoot a Douglas barrel? What do you think of them?

Posts: 164 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GLC-

From the sounds of your rig (25-06, #4 sporter, etc) it sounds like you are building a hunting rifle. A Douglas will be as good as you ever need it to be.

I shoot lots of Douglas barrels & am completely happy with them.

(If you do a search, there were a few threads recently dealing with the same subject, you may get some good info out of them).

[ 01-20-2003, 16:46: Message edited by: Cold Bore ]

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Coldbore- thanks for the info. Yes, I'm building a hunting rig but don't think I need one of the more exotic barrels which is why I'm going with Douglass. I shoot a lot (groundhogs, deer, etc.) but really don't need a benchrest/competition barrel for what I intend to do.

I'll be replacing the stock Rem 700 barrel. I've shot it so much that the throat is now very long. Still very accurate with 120's but they are seated just barely in the case. I can't load the lightweight's (87/90 grainers) anywhere near the rifling anymore to get any decent accuracy.

Thanks again. GLC.

Posts: 164 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GLC-

I grew up in western PA shooting those same deer, and absolutely loved spending days in a groundhog field...

I miss it up there. [Frown]

<Difranco>
posted
I have a heavy Douglas Premium barrel on my 6mm Rem. with a Mauser action, hunting rifle. Best barrel I have ever owned. You wont be sorry.