THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    need help! 22-250 or 223 and manufacturer

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need help! 22-250 or 223 and manufacturer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted
Ok, here's my dilema, I wanted the 22-250 but started to worry about barrel life at those velocities. I then started looking at the 223 and you're only giving away @ 300fps muzzle velocity for the same bullet weight with 10 grains less powder. I think max point blank on the 22-250 is 305 yds and the 223 is 275 yds with a 150 yd zero.

Now there's rate of twist the 223 is offered as quick as a 1 in 9, most 22-250 are 1 in 12 or 14. If they use the same bullets why the difference in rate of twist, is it the velocity??

Now the selection of the firearm. I really have 2 choices. A weatherby vanguard, or a Savage. The Weatherby in 223 has a 24 in tube with a 1 in 12 twist, The Savave is a 22 in tube with a 1 in 9.
In 22-250 the Weatherby has a 24 in tube and 1 in 14 twist and the Savage is a 22 in tube with a 1 in 12 twist. The Savage model is the Predator for this discussion.
I like the idea of the Savage making it much easier to change the barrel. I also looked at cheaping out with the Stevens model. I'm pretty tight on the budget and the way they price out is Stevens = $360, Weatherby = $399 and the Savage = $760.
I was just wondering if anyone out there had some info that would clear some of these subjects up for me.
Thanks

Posts: 156 | Location: NY | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
22-250's have traditionally had a slow twist barrel for use with light bullets. 1:14" has been standard but a few makers have started using a 1:12", which expands the range of bullets a bit.

1:12" has seemed to be the standard for .223 bolt action rifles (ARs are a whole nother thing) but some (Tikka and Savage, especially) are beginning to use much faster twists to stabilize the very long bullets being used in ARs and for hunting with the .223 (also a whole nother thing). Also, some are rebarreling .22-250s with fast twist barrels to launch TSXs and Scirrocos and the maximum possible speed.

Barrel life will be shorter with a .22-250 than a .223 but by how much will depend on a variety of factors. And, you're right; the range loss with a .223 is not nearly as much as some might think. But if you really want accuracy and great barrel life, look at a .222 Remington.

Also, do a search on this site for Seafire and Blue Dot loads. Using small charges of Blue Dot can get you some remarkable results both in accuracy and velocity and barrel life. Seafire is the guru and has posted lots of results here so just do a search.

The Stevens you mention is a remarkable value especially given how expensive Savages have recently become.

What do you want to do with the rifle? That may decide this more than anything. DO you need a faster twist? Will you shoot varmints only?

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted Hide Post
I'm going to want to shoot varmints and maybe yotes, but I have the 243 for yotes. I also just like to shoot paper at the range and get as small a group as possible via load development.

Posts: 156 | Location: NY | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I experienced your delima. My choice was the Savage 12fv in 22-250. It has a 26" 1in12 #8 varmint taper barrel. I haven't been sorry!
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting varmints then go with the weatherby with 12" twist. You will get a much longer barrel life (8,000+ rounds if you don't heat it up too much) and you will be able to use the SX and Blitz 50-55 gr bullets. I've used the .223 since '72 for varmints and have killed them out to 400+ yards without problem. I also have had several 22-250s andd several .243/6mms. Get the .223 with 12" twist.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingI have the Savage 12BV-SS-s in .223, the Stevens Mod. 200 in .223 and .22-250 and a Mauser .22-250. The Mauser is an also ran but the other three will do a good job out to 400 yds. The Mod. 200 will give you a whole lot of fun working on the trigger. The .223 1-9 twists stabalize the 34 gr. HP going at over 4000 fps. as well as bullets up to 75gr ( actually 80gr. except the VLD.).

Don't have any experience with Weatherby and probably never will.

The barrel change ability of the Savage-Stevens can be a real kick. Trouble is it developes a collection of new take off barrels. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .22-250 does it all. The Remington XR-100 is an amaizing rifle. I like a little heavier bullet in the Varminter.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Whichever manufacturer you pick barrel life will be roughly equal.

If your main concern is the cost of shooting out the barrel, buy the Stevens and you'll save money. You'll also be able to buy brand new take off barrels that you can mount yourself, for about $75.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote