THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    100 grain bullets for the .257 weatherby mag.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100 grain bullets for the .257 weatherby mag.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a new remington SPS in .257 Weatherby. I put my nikkon buckmaster 4.5X14 side focus on it.
I took it to the range saturday and I can tell you already its gonna be a dandy.
I was on paper in 2 shots and my 1st group was a perfect half an inch at 100 yards.
That is for 3 shots. I was using a Hornady 100 grain flat base over H-1000.
I got some other good groups and some not so good.
But I am almost certain the rifle will do much better. The new remington trigger is so crisp and clean I did nothing with it till after the 1st range session.
While sitting at the bench with the rifle on sand base squeezin and squeezing waiting for the trigger to break I am sure is the biggest reason some of the groups were around 2 inches.
When I got the rifle home it took me all of about 10 minites to figure how to and then to lighten the trigger pull.
next time out if i have a good load I bwt I will be all smiles.
Now for my question. What 100 grain bullets have any of you used on deer from a .257 Roy ?
I will be getting som 100 grain tripple shocks for sure , but I think I need to be prety carfull here and use tough bullets that will hold up with muzzle velocity at some where between 3450 and 3600 FPS.
How about that flat base hornady or a speer hot core.
Any experience or even musings would be a big help.
...thanks in advance ...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
I loaded some ammo for a friend who has a Blaser K95 in that caliber; both Nosler Ballistic Tips as well as Barnes 115 grain TSX shoot into a single hole, quite impressive. Powder was Norma MRP2, velocity calculated at 3500 feet/second.

Since it's so flat-shooting, he calls it his "death ray gun", it does whack critters quiet dead on the spot, that I can confirm even for very heavy ones. The Barnes bullets seem to exit very reliably, this guy was recently to Turkey where he shot 5 big pigs, no bullet recovered.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I have both those bullets on hand and will be shooting them soon. But at the moment , I am seeking info on 100 grainers...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
TJ,

The Weatherby is one heckuva round - fully capable of driving a 100gr. bullet at 3500fps +.

The problem you may face is finding bullets that are constructed well enough to function at those velocities. The SGK's and Horn ILocks are good bullets at 2700fps...but at 3500 fps would likely "blow up" on game because they are simple cup & core designs.

Just my opinion, buf if you truly want to take advantage of that cannon, you gotta go with a premium bullet that can handle the abuse of the Roy.

Nosler Partition & Accubond, Swift Scirocco & A-Frame, and, of couse, the Barnes TSX all qualify.

Good luck with the Roy! And post some pix!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.257 Wby and 100 grs TSX - if this combination works in your rifle, look no further. Maximum velocity with no worries about bullet performance.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
The Swift A-Frame and the Nosler Accubond 110 grain are my choices for the Bob AI. I am sure they would be a good choice for the race horse.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
74gr of RL-25 with 100gr TSX works well in my 257 Wby Mark V. The 110gr Accubond works well with 72gr of IMR-7828. Both of these are warm loads and should be worked up.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the hornady 100 grainer is about the toughest conventional bullet you will find in that weight range. i use it exclusively in my bolt action 25-06. have shot deer at close range with no issues, but the weatherby is an entirely different proposition i would guess. i think my loads are running around 3300 fps and change if i remember correctly. i would lung shoot a deer with your load any day.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am gonna have to get some 100 grain TSXs. I have used them in various other 25s and been prety darn happy with them.
For deer size game, and If I( wanted to go after a caribu or black bear mabye the 115 version is a good choice.
The latest hornady manual says the 100 interlocket is good up to 3600 Fps. and I think its the bullet weatherby uses in the basic load for the .257.
I would like to have a second load that would be less expensive.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge TSX fan and load for a friend with a .257 Wby. He, however, refuses to use anything other than the 115 Ballistic Tip. Want to try a TSX? No. How about the new 110 Accubond from Nosler. No. Puhlease, let me load you something stouter. No.

He is a very good shot and is willing to restrict himself to shots that he can make, so he puts the 115 BT into the boiler room and it's all over right there. He's run up an impressive string of DRTs with it. More times than not he doesn't get an exit wound.

Not my cup of tea but it works well for him. So maybe the bullet choice turns on what you are wanting/willing to do with the gun. Personally, I think the 100 gr TSXs are perfect for the 257 Roy, but ........

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
100 gr TSX and 72 grains of RL22, 3670 fps and under 1/2 in. They will also shoot lengthwise through a whitetail. It is THE load for the .257 Wby.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot Serria 100ga bullets and have no problem
with them in my WBY 257 Mag Mark 5.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jstevens:
100 gr TSX and 72 grains of RL22, 3670 fps and under 1/2 in. They will also shoot lengthwise through a whitetail. It is THE load for the .257 Wby.

Yes, one of my favorites.

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot Sierra 100 grn bullets in a .25-06.
Out of 11 deer shot from 60 to a little over 300 yards all have been through and through except one shot head on at 80 yards. Was unable to find the bullet in the abdomen late in the evening and the coyotes probably ate it later.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the Nosler or the monolithics..The problem I had with the 257 Wby was it literally destroyed a whole side of a deer with bloodshot meat..so I got rid of it..

If that is a problem with you also then I suggest that you load the 100 gr. bullet down to about 2900 FPS or less...It kills deer very well, trajectory is equal to the 180 30-06 and it is a fine deer killer.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42169 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray ,
Do you remember what kind of bullet you used when you ruined that deer ?
I will stay away from that one one for sure.
I still have a couple of .257 Roberts and an AI Roberts too.
And that is still a heck of a good usfull deer round.
I bought the Weathery cartridge so I could shoot with no hold worry about bullet drop out to 300 yards or so.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I hunted with my 257WM, I killed around 38 bucks with it. The best all around bullet I used was the 120gr Speer flat base. It had both good killing power and penetration.

The Nosler partitions killed like lighting with only a caliber size exit hole. I knew they would bite me sooner or later and if my recollection is correct, it was on my 8th and 9th bucks with the partitions that refused to fall dead. I had a heck of a tracking job on each.

The Nosler BTs worked great on broad side shots, but on much of angle at all, it was as if I was shooting blanks.

The 115gr Barnes X bullet worked great on raking shots where a lot of penetration was needed. I killed 4 bucks like that with complete penetration and a good exit hole. Buck #5 was broad side at 200 yards and traveled about 50 yards thru thick planted pines before I stumbled onto him. No blood trail and slightly larger than caliber exit hole. Buck #6 with the X bullets was standing in the same tracks as buck #5 a day or two later. At the shot, he hit the pines and was not recovered. No blood at all and a miss was not likely.

Shot a couple with the 120 Hdy H.P. and was not impressed.

Some of the new bonded bullets may the ticket in the 257.

I know the 257WM is a very capable long range killer with the right bullets. But I now hunt with a 300 WinMag.

Joe A.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
For anyone interested...
I have a box of 100 Federal Made Nickel Brass in 257 Weatherby.. I bought them, was charged a spendy price... much higher than quoted was charged to my credit card....

and then when I pointed out also that it wasn't what I ordered in the first place, they wouldn't take them back!

What I was supposed to get was Nickel 257 Roberts brass, not 257 Weatherby....

I'd let this go to another forum member only, or work out a trade if anyone is interested...

PM me if interested...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:
I am gonna have to get some 100 grain TSXs. I have used them in various other 25s and been prety darn happy with them.
For deer size game, and If I( wanted to go after a caribu or black bear mabye the 115 version is a good choice.
The latest hornady manual says the 100 interlocket is good up to 3600 Fps. and I think its the bullet hordy uses in the basic load for the .257.
I would like to have a second load that would be less expensive.
...tj3006

Thomas,

Hope your gun likes the 100 TSX's....my current barrel doesn't.........but shoots the 115's into .5. It seems to prefer flat based bullets.

My previous barrel, which was chambered with shorter freebore, loved the old 90XBT's.......I killed a Klipspringer with it at over 400 yards.....and at the other end of the spectrum 2 zebra...........

Good luck........it's a great cartridge thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A klipspringer ?
Well, I doubt i'll be hunting any of those any time soon ,but 400 yards is a darn good shot !!
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting some 100 grain Sierra Gamekings. They are devastating on everything I've shot with them and they are very accurate. (I love my .257 Wby Mag. It's the most accurate long range gun I've ever owned!)

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't hesitate to use 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips in the Weatherby. I use them in my .25-06 @ 3,525 with IMR4831. I haven't had the famed "blow ups" everyone keeps talking about. I do have a lot of dead whitetails, mulies, and pronghorns though.

Also you ought to get substantially more velocity out of your .257 Mag than I do the .25.

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would agree that I should get more velocity out of my mag thn you should your 25,06 asuning equal pressure...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:
A klipspringer ?
Well, I doubt i'll be hunting any of those any time soon ,but 400 yards is a darn good shot !!
...tj3006

I was tired of climbing Big Grin

And I had shot lots of 'roos at that range in Oz.

Klippies are renowned for having fragile skins........didn't do any damage, even on the exit wound. 257 Power!

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The 100 gr Hornady flat base riding on top of some RL25 is the only thing I use with my 257 Wby out in West Texas. It's lights out for whitetail deer!

It is, of course, further indication that a fundamentalist right has really taken over much of the Republican Party, People might cite George Bush as proof that you can be totally impervious to the effects of Harvard and Yale education.
Barney Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sure did'nt take long to figure out that my Remington likes the 100 grain TSX.
70.5 grains of RL-22 gave me an Excelent group of .45. and the other 2 rounds I had for that load were just over a half an inch. I also test fired 1 round at 72 grains witch showed no exces preasure.
I also was quite happy with the 100 grain Hornady 100 grain flat base , with 2 sub MOA groups.
The remington is a good rifle. I think if I had it bedded in say a McMillan stock it would shoot even better.
I am thinking of getting another remington sps in .308 or 30,06...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I've got my initial load workup rounds built but haven't been to the range yet Frowner. Hopefully this week I'll have time to go and see how it shoots the 100 gr TSXs Big Grin.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
You could try Wildcat bonded bullets. They have some extreme BC's for long-range shooting, but if that isn't your cup of tea I suggest TSX is you want penetration.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas Jones,
I used the silvertip, Nosler partitions, Sierras and the Barnes Xs, all of them will ruin a lot of meat at the Wby velocity..

If you like deer meat then would opt for a 120 gr. at about 2800 FPS personally, I see no need for more power and that load will shoot further than you should shoot at a game animal.

I have mostly hunted Mule Deer all my life in the high rimrock country of the Texas Big Bend or the mountains of Idaho with a few hunts about everywhere else and I still think the 30-06, 180 gr. Nosler is about my favorite deer rifle in that it does not chew them up too badly and gives me all the range and killing power I need.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42169 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of wisdome there Ray.
But I missed a real nice buck last yearwith my Roberts, by miss judging the range and shooting to high.
With the weatherby I should not have to worry about the range a dead on hold to about 350 yards.
I have killed lots of bucks , but this time I want a wall hanger ! And while I like the meat untill I get a trophy buck, I don't care if he dissintigrates from the shoulders back. !
...tj3006
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Serria and Speer 100 gr bullets for my WBY
257 Mark 5.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the chroney out and and ,
Fired some 100 grain TSXs over the sky screens, using a charge of 72 grains of RL-22.
I was mildly dissaponted with the MV of 3460.
Not that that won't do just fine but I was hoping for something at least 75 FPS faster.
I don't think I want to go any hotter with that powder looking at the primers.
Only 1 was craterd but that is enough to tell me I better stop.
So, I picked up a pound of Ramshot magnum.
I will let you know how it works...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
TJ, I had a chance to get to the range last Friday. The 108 degrees and 55 percent humidity didn't help much for sure Frowner. From a 24 inch barreled Weatherby Vanguard I shot six factory 100 grain TSX rounds. The velocities were very consistent with 3 of them at the low end of 3555 while the fastest of the 6 was 3613. I simply worked up a load using the 100 grain TSX from 65 to 70 grains of IMR-7828 with 1 round each to see where they start "bunching". The bunching started at 69 and 70 grains. Barnes number 4 manual says up to 71 grains of IMR-7828 so when I do the extended workup with 3 shots each I'll work up from either 69.5 or 70 grains to 71 grains in 2 tenths increments. The speed of the 70 grain charge was 3490. Do you know if the Remmy has the Weatherby freebore?

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of free bore with my SPS. Those factory loads are screaming. I bought the ramshotto try , but I already used 7828 with a hornady bullest and acuracy was good !
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try 76 grains, work up to it, as this is near max, of Ramshot Magnum, fed 215M match primers, 100 gr TSX gives me 3594 fps in my Vanguard with a 24 inch barrel.

Socialism works great until you run out of the other person's money......

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks aggie,
That would be great if mine will do that !!!

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine goes over 3600 fps, I think 3670 with 72 gr RL22 and a 100TSX. That is in a 26 in. barelled Wby. and seems to be pretty typical velocity when I talk to others. Yours is really low, but those things happen. I don't have problems with meat damage on whitetails at all with the 100TSX. No problems with them running off either, even some that were way out there. I only hunt with the .257 when I have a good spot that may require a long shot, otherwise stick with the old 7x57. A lot of my corn-beanfield stands can be pretty long shooting at big bucks however.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed several deer with a 257 Wby and factory ammo.

I used the 120 Nosler Partition, the 100gr Nosler Partition, and the 100gr Pt-Ex, which I believe is the Hornady bullet.

All killed deer just fine, but no better than a 243, but I never shot a deer with the 257 WBY over 200 yards, and you can only kill them so dead.

IMHO where the 257 Wby would really shine is from 300 to 500 yards, where its velocity is still high enough to give good expansion.

I just never got to shoot anything that far away with it.

If I was doing a lot of long range deer and antelope hunting I would definately get a 257 Wby bbl for my Blaser R 93. Big Grin

I use a 300 Win Mag for that type of hunting now, but a 257 Wby is a lot softer shooting.

I better be careful or I will talk my self into getting one. Big Grin

I still have dies and brass, but I never loaded for my 257 Wby. Factory ammo shot great.

It was one of Roy Weatherby's favorites.
If I remember correctly he liked it for elk quite a bit.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote