Find
Notify
Tools

17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
Anyone own one of these yet? Pretty nifty looking little round.

[IMG][url= http://"http://www.hunt101.com/?p=77572&c=500&z=1"]  - [/url][/IMG]

Great round for small preds like fox and bobcat. Do you think it might be a little light for yotes at longer ranges?

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to web site- - www.rimfirecentral.com--I have not shot any game larger than paririe dogs with 17HMR but should I see a coyote within 100Yds.I,d take the shot..

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin Stainless Laminated Heavy barreled version. Burris High rimfire rings under a Nikon 4 X 12 AO scope. My particular Rifle shoots the Hornady V Max Bullet VERY well. Watch the wind carefully as the little 17 grain pill is fairly wind susceptible.

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Handed my buddy my 17 NEF and he head shot a jack rabbit at 186 yards.(Lazer confirmed)Swollen head syndrome.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
boilerroom,

I got to compare a Ruger 77/17 to my 77/22M on both targets and ground squirrels. Accuracy wasn't that much different. The .17 HMR is effected by wind more than the .22 WMR. As far as using one on a coyote I wouldn't after seeing how these little bullets turned a squirrel into something you wouldn't want to eat. I wouldn't trust the bullet to hold together on body shots. I didn't buy the 77/17 that I tested because I could see no advantage over a .22 WMR. Besides the ammo cost way to much. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ in 17 HMR that'll shoot 3/8" 3 shot groups at 200 yards on a WINDLESS day. I really like this little round---so much so that I have one of the new Win 1885 low walls on order...if it'll just get here soon!

Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Yes.

You NEED one. Easily the most fun I've had with a rifle in many years. A better ratsmacker for shooting near livestock, neighbors, etc, has never been made, IMO. No noise, no riccochet, zero recoil. Spot your own shots.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
Having had no experience with a .22mag, can only
compare the 17hmr to .22LR. It's sort of like
shooting CCI Stingers on a high dose of steroids.
100yd head shots on squirrels is quite easy with
a good scope. Mine is the Marlin .17VS and it is
VERY accurate -- love it! As was already said, ya
gotta pay attention to the wind, though.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote