New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mini-14
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I sighted in a loaner Mini-14 for a friend of mine today (long story, he couldn't do it). It is one of the new stainless steel models with 3x9 leopold scope. The ammo was given to me loose and I think it was Winchester 64 grain soft point. Could have been 55 grain soft point. Nobody seem to know. I shot about a box or little more in sighting it in.

The main thing to note is that I shot a 25 yard group and then tuned it up at 100 yards. I shot a 5 shot group at 100 yards that measured 1.73 inches center to center for the final check. Shoots a lot better than my old one. He took the target or otherwise I would try to post a picture of the group.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is good. As I recollect, the Ruger standard was 2" at 50 yards. If it shot that it was good to go!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike, Surely it would do better with Reloads which can be Tuned for the rifle. Or perhaps some other Factory Ammo. Otherwise, near 2" groups is not too good. If that meets the Ruger Spec, it is pitiful.

I've read somewhere(maybe here on AR) that Ruger re-designed this rifle and it was supposed to be a lot more accurate than the initial release.

Does it have an Adjustable Thingy(screws in and out) on the Muzzle? If so, that would be a Harmonic Balancer and should be able to Tune the rifle to the Factory Ammo. Only problem here is how many shots it takes to get it Balanced.

One of my buddies has a 270Win M70 with the BOSS. He finally gave up messing with the BOSS and just adjusted the Harmonic with his Reloads.

On the other hand, if your buddy is happy with it, then nothing else matters.

Best of luck with the rifle.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I shot a 5 shot group at 100 yards that measured 1.73 inches center to center for the final check.

If your getting a 1.7" with ?? rounds, you're doing better than just about anyone I know! Mini-14's are not known for their accuracy and they usually end up as boat anchors Eeker So were-you-me, I would do some development (load) and tune that thing in the best you can. Somehow, you got a good shooter! tu2

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Does it have an Adjustable Thingy(screws in and out) on the Muzzle? If so, that would be a Harmonic Balancer and should be able to Tune the rifle to the Factory Ammo.

The mini Rugers that I've seen had accuracy problems that had little to do with screwy thingys on the muzzel and harmonics. If they are judged by their usual accuracy, as I do, then they are junk. The original spray and prey blasters. Ruger ought to be embarrased.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
That's great for a mini 14. The last two I had wouldn't shoot minute of barn...same for the mini 30.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Five shots into 1.73" from a new gun and the first ammo tried in it has to qualify as very good considering that the platform was the Mini-14.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9411 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an older ranch rifle, and it will string 4 or 5 inches vertically and about 1.5 inches horizontally with a 10 shot group. I don't shoot it much. I should trade it for a new one, or a mini-30.

The ammo was in a plastic bag, and some of the points were battered. I did this for a friend of mine that just had surgery on his right shoulder. The rifle was loaned to his son by a friend to shoot hogs and coyotes. It will do this job.

This was a brand new stainless steel, plastic stock mini with a leupold 3x9 vari-x II (or III) scope.

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikethebear:
I sighted in a loaner Mini-14 for a friend of mine today (long story, he couldn't do it). It is one of the new stainless steel models with 3x9 leopold scope. The ammo was given to me loose and I think it was Winchester 64 grain soft point. Could have been 55 grain soft point. Nobody seem to know. I shot about a box or little more in sighting it in.

The main thing to note is that I shot a 25 yard group and then tuned it up at 100 yards. I shot a 5 shot group at 100 yards that measured 1.73 inches center to center for the final check. Shoots a lot better than my old one. He took the target or otherwise I would try to post a picture of the group.

5 shots in to 1.7" from any combat type rifle is good. I see more and more reviews in gun magazines on AR style rifles and they generally don't do much better. Everyone seems to think all ARs shoot sub moa. That is clearly not the case.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the SS models, black plastic stock, used/cheap, couple of years ago. Factory peep was terrible. Put a Leopold VXIII 1.5x5 on it and it shoots 1.5" at 100 yds. Plenty good for me. Saw an article a while back that Ruger was making them shoot now. My rifle verifies that.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
quote:
Originally posted by mikethebear:

5 shots in to 1.7" from any combat type rifle is good. I see more and more reviews in gun magazines on AR style rifles and they generally don't do much better. Everyone seems to think all ARs shoot sub moa. That is clearly not the case.

I've got 2 SKS shooters for fun and with iron sights one will shoot 1.75-2.5" at 100 yards and the other just a whisper more.

I'm happy with those groups from a combat type rifle and they are a hoot to shoot.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Accuracy of Mini 14s stems from where the rifle itself initially locks into the stock at the front. Too tight---bad groups! Too loose samo-samo! When the action sits LEVEL in the stock and the barrel is "free-floated" it~ll shoot. Quick 15 min fix!
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bohica:
Accuracy of Mini 14s stems from where the rifle itself initially locks into the stock at the front. Too tight---bad groups! Too loose samo-samo! When the action sits LEVEL in the stock and the barrel is "free-floated" it~ll shoot. Quick 15 min fix!
Aloha, Mark

Interesting comment. Have you modified some Mini 14's that showed improvement from these type of adjustments??

I have a couple of shooting buddies that most likely would be interested in some modifications in their shooters before they give up on them.

Any additional info would be great.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It has worked on quite a few Mini 14 223 and 222s over the years. Surprizingly??? Not worth a S%%t on the two Mini 30s I tried. Go figure..
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote