THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Savage 12 LRPV, what caliber?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 12 LRPV, what caliber?
 Login/Join

posted
After a few years of non-participation, I'm going to buy another varmint type rifle. My mind is pretty much made up at this point on the Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter (extra heavy barrel single shot, new model). The only decision left is caliber. Had a 22-250 years back and loved it, but can't decide between a 22-250 and a .204. Both are offered at 1-12 twist in this model.

My question is, for those who have experience with both, is after weighing in the pros and cons such as-

Usage (50/50 non-competitive target/varmint)
Practical wind deflection (Texas flat land)
Reload supplies cost
Total per round cost

Is there really a clear winner?

I've been pouring over the net on this site and others searching for practical advice from experienced users, and there's not a clear winner yet. Does the ability of the 22-250 to throw 60 grainers outweigh the benefits of less noise, less heat, less recoil, less cost of the .204?

Posts: 6 | Location: McKinney TX | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never shot a 204 but the only thing that I can say is that I believe the 22/250 isn't affected by the wind quite as much as the 204. It really comes down to what you have a hankering to try cause I don't think either one will disappoint you.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a .204 rifle or cartridge, except on the internet. I would go with the 22-250

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a look at this site, it might throw more light on your choice.

http://www.204ruger.com/index.htm

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote