THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Remington 222 trigger and other questions

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 222 trigger and other questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted
Howdy

Having several small calibers to play with such as .22 Hornets, .221 FB and .223, I am considering a .222. (Don't ask why, but "need" is not to be considered Wink Wink).

Am considering first a Remington 700, 722, or 788.

Questions:

1. Are triggers on all of the above "owner adjustable?" (I am thinking not the 788. I do have limited experience with triggers on CZ, Anschutz, Kimber, and Rem.541 so could probably tackle it if needed)

2. Given the milder velocities of the Rem. 222, what are the chances of my buying a used one with the barrel "shot out?"

Thanks to all in advance. "Bo"

Thank goodness my grandfather put me in the woods as a child !

www.TableRockAngler.com

Posts: 113 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 20 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bo,

The triggers on the 722 and 700 are both "owner adjustable", don't know about the 788 (don't own one). I have a 700 and a 722 in 222, both used. When I bought the 700 the barrel didn't look all that great, but it shot very well. I have since rebarreled to a varmint contour just because I could. It's pretty hard to find a 222 that won't shoot unless the barrel is total toast. The 222 is a great round.

BTW, did you ever get the Ruger to shoot?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 700 is more or less an updated 722. the 788 is a different cat entirely. 788's were a real plain jane rifle. I see 722's in 222 quite a bit on the used gun market. same for 700's only more so. an old 722 in 222 was my sons favorite PD gun, until it was stolen. I would believe that a good used remmy 222 would be one of the easy things to find. pick up a gun list, gun show, shop etc. you shouldn't have to look long. great cartridge

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The trigger on a 788 is not adjustable BUT there is a technique where the smith changes some springs and adds an adjustment screw that makes it adjustable. Perhaps over in the gunsmith room you can find someone that can outline the process or tell you where to get it done. Mine cost me $50.00 per trigger but I had it done by a local smith.

One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
BTW, did you ever get the Ruger to shoot?

Craigster, great to hear from ya. You have always been a big help and thanks. As for that Ruger, I believe .22 Hornet????........ It's history and was replaced with a CZ 527 Hornet Big Grin Just last Friday, I ordered a new Anschutz 1730 DHB to complement the CZ since it is a heavy (stainless) barreled model.....expecting it any day now.

Not to get too wordy, but am wrestling with three .22 Magnums at present: Ruger 77/22 Mag, CZ 452, and a recently acquired Savage Anschutz 141M. They all shoot good........ and bad. All "seem to have potential" but their groups spread all around with certain ammo. All have high magnification scopes. So far, the CZ will only give acceptible groups with Remington 33 grain V-max pointed stuff. Mostly Winchester 40 gr HP have been tried in all three and the results are mostly not great. I still have some Fed, CCI, and other Remington 40 grainers to try. Too many variables, too little time.

THANKS again, Craig !!

quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
the 700 is more or less an updated 722. the 788 is a different cat entirely. 788's were a real plain jane rifle. great cartridge

Butch, I am very familiar with the Remington 580, 581, and 582 series, which is the little sister to the 788. Nice, plain rifles that shoot great, but if the 788 does not have an adjustable trigger, I may cull it first.

To tell the truth, I was really first looking at Anschutz 1700???, but can't seem to find one on the used market. I have found several 153 models but I think they are priced too high for what you get. I spent my cookie jar on the Annie 1730 Hornet, so have to replenish before I make another purchase anyway and have time to research .222 options. I think I would like to have a heavy barreled model.

Thanks Stillbeeman. That also gives some options on the 788.

THANKS and y'all have a great day. "Bo"

Thank goodness my grandfather put me in the woods as a child !

www.TableRockAngler.com

Posts: 113 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 20 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My oldest son started on a 788 .222. Since that was many years ago my memory is fogged but I do not believe the trigger is user friendly.

As other have said the 788 is very plain Jane. Issues I didn't care for were the detachable magazine and the fact it locked in the rear. Probaly not an issue with the .222 but I prefer a front locking action.

As stated the 700 is just an updated 722. Either make a fine rifle and much prefer to the 788 for my $$,

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 1st dedicated varmint rifle was a Remington 660 in 222, so that is another option. Short, reasonably light, and handy to carry up and down hills in search of a 'chuck worth of being shot.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of 22win
posted Hide Post
Some how I ended up with three 222s. Two 722s and a 600 Mohawk. The sad thing is I had a 788 that shot sub 1/2 groups (some one hole also). I had a gunsmith make the trigger adjustable. I traded it in a weak moment about 10 years ago and have regretted it ever since. The other 3 shoot great but the 788 was sweet. If I remember at the time I was tired of the clip rattling, big deal! CRYBABY

Posts: 48 | Location: Northcentral PA | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote