THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Ideal barrel length for .17 HMR

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideal barrel length for .17 HMR
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of British
posted
Can I canvas your opinions on what you guys consider to be the ideal barrel length for this cartridge. I have read of 18.5 inch barrels giving 2550fps with the Hornady ammo.

What length are you running and what results are you getting both on paper and quarry.

Posts: 325 | Location: Essex, UK | Registered: 12 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Ben H>
posted
I think 18.5 is right on the money. Badger Barrels has on their web-site a velocity test they conducted with 18.5" to 19" being optimum. Mine is a Volquartsen (Lothar Walther) at 18.5". The 17 HMR has done well for me on prarie dogs out to 150 yds or so. It is quite sensitive to wind, however.

Cheers,
Ben H

one of us
posted Hide Post
BullBerry that does a lot of custom T/Cbarrels used one of their match grade barrels and started out at 22" and removed one inch and recrowned that same barrel all the way down to 10 inches...22,21,20,19,18,17..... They determined the optimum to be 19 " and were still getting in excess of 2260 at 10 inches. Every standard production rifle, Marlin VS, Marlin V, Savage 93, Remington 597, NEF, that I have chronographed has been in the 2700fps range(2680-2739). Also the 10 inch Striker pistol consistently goes 2325-2350. GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Ben H>
posted
GHD is correct. It's Bullberry not Badger that did the length/velocity tests.

Good Shooting,
Ben H

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have the marlin 17vs and am very impressed with the results. A prarie dog this past summer at an honest 175 yds. would say the balistic tip ammo and rifle are very deadly. Shot many more at 100 yds. or so with same results.

one of us
posted Hide Post
British: I have the Ruger 77/17V (stainless metal with gray laminated stock and 24" heavy barrel). I use it for all kinds of Varmints including so far Rock Chucks, Prairie Dogs, Badger, Ground Squirrels, Skunk, feral cats and several types of flying Varmints. I greatly prefer the long heavy barrels for Hunting use as the mass of course allows you to have a steadier sight picture under field conditions. You can heat up a 17 HMR barrel in a good colony Varmint field by the way! The heavy barrel on my Ruger keeps a constant P.O.I. even when warm. I of course do not shoot it "hot". My wealthy friend has the same Rifle and I shot along side him this summer and he got his 17 HMR barrel over heated according to my standards but his accuracy did not diminish noticeably.
You did not specifically ask what length for what purpose but my suggestion is if it is to be used in the field then I highly recommend the heavy 24" barrel.
My Ruger by the way consistently shoots under 1.000" at 100 yards for 5 shot groups! I have yet to shoot a group at 100 yards over 1.000"! And that my friend is saying something for a rimfire! I have a straight 15X Weaver KT15 scope on mine and it has performed flawlessly for me! It has an adjustable objective which I also highly recommend for this caliber! My best 5 shot 100 yard group to date has been .502"! It can normally be expected to shoot around .700" at 100 yards for five shots! My Rifle prefers the Remington ammo but my friends same model prefers the Hornady! I have heard they are made on the same machines and are in fact the same ammo but I tested them all and the Remington slightly edged out the Hornady and the CCI! The CCI definitely shot to a different POI than the Remingtons.
I have taken Ground Squirrels and Prairie Dogs to 202 yards (Leica Lasered!) and fully intend to get a Ground Squirrel at 250 yards with it next spring!
Fox, Bobcat and Coyote soon to be added to my 17 HMR Varmint list (as soon as the fur shapes up).
I have been just absolutely thrilled with the heavy barreled Ruger 17 HMR. The only modification I have done to it was the addition of a Volquartsen sear and trigger spring ($30.00 U.S. from Midway on sale this spring). The former 3 pound 12 ounce factory trigger with the tiniest amount of creep is now a crisp and splendid 2 pounds even! My friend who has the same Rifle as mine left his factory trigger (3 pounds 2 ounces) on his Rifle. He also gets splendid accuracy from his Ruger! They are pricey but everyone I have talked to that owns one has been very happy with them!
Good luck with whichever you choose!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote