Find
Notify
Tools

Lightweight Projectiles
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted
Has anyone used the 35gn Hornady A-Max in a 22 Hornet, K Hornet or Bee and used them on game. Do they shoot much flatter than say the standard 45gn, and at the greater speed do they give good preformance on game.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Sorry, no game experience yet with the 35 grain. My 35 grain reloads for the 218 Bee lever gun are over maximums with no difference in point of impact at 50 and 100 yards and excellent accuracy. Penetration through a soft pine board is a drilled hole for the first 1 1/2", with a big chunk blown out for remaining 2 1/2" of standard (here) 2x4. Looks like big medicine for 50 pounders. No chrono data but would guess 3100 fps for sure. BTW, I file the red tip flat almost to the copper for lever gun use. ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of chapster1
posted Hide Post
Hey BAW ive used the 35grn VMAX but didnt know there was 35grn a max, but the v max out of my hornet was devistating of rabbits, but not too good on fox ??? had a few foxes run off when shot with the 35s, and i tried them on our hare`s too much damage, hope this helps

Posts: 165 | Location: North Yorkshire yippeeeee | Registered: 08 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
B.A. - I used to shoot some home made jacketed bullets, 35 & 36 gr in my K Hornet. They were HP's and the results of jackrabbits was frightening. When these bullets hit I could hear a pop like someone clapping their hands and the jack came apart like I shot into a feather pillow.

Just exactly how the V Max will perform, I can't say. The thing to remember is the lighter the bullet, the faster they loose steam. So what is spectacular at 100 yds may be ho-hum at 200.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've not used them on game but at the range and on varmints. Based on their performance on woodchucks, I am comfortable using them only on varmints. There are fast (up to 3000fps from a hornet), accurate and explosive. Squirrel sized would likely be torn to bits, bunny size a bloody mess, and chucks get a big entrance wound not especially deep but dead none the less. I would prefer a heavier (40-45) bullet for foxes and coyotes for the pentetration and on edible small game for less meat damage.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote