New
Find
Notify
Tools

savage 25-20 info needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So my Savage model 23B in 25-20 caliber came the other day. Very nice looking rifle in great shape. It came with a parker-hale peep sight (9A). I am interested in knowing how old the gun is if anyone could help, serial number is 120###. and I would like to find out the age and possible value of the peep sight. and value of the rifle, unfortunately the rifle(i don't think) is a collectors item the original rear sight is gone and infront of where the rear sight was are two filled holes that could of been used for some sort of sight?(someone was not very smart)
any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 115 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 23B's were made from 1923-1942. The peep side was likely an aftermarket add on, adjustable leaf rear sights were standard. The 23's are a lot of fun to shoot, I currently have a B and a D (22 Hornet).

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
crout:
One of the former owners of your Savage 23B, chambered for the .25-20 Winchester Repeater, was a smart shooter who was more interested in enhancing the rifle's practical field utility than in preserving the rifle's "collector value." That Parker-Hale 9A peep sight really makes a big difference to most folks over 40 years old!

I trust that you are a reloader; few people can afford to shoot much factory .25-20 ammunition. In Wolfe Publishing Company's compendium, "Varmint and Small Game Rifles and Cartridges," there are two articles which might interest you.

The first, ".25-20, Elegy for a Cartridge," by John Wooters, on pages 163-167, reports, among other things, some cast bullet loads, and their hunting results.

The second, "Reviving the Small Game Rifle," by Gil Sengel, reports eight loads for the 87 grain Sierra, four loads for the 75 grain Sierra, and seven loads for the 60 grain Hornady bullet. Note that Sengel warns not to use his loads in any factory-chambered firearm. Sengel developed and tested these loads in a custom-built falling block single shot rifle. The various factory lever action and bolt action rifles for the .25-20 Repeater just are not strong enough to use his loads.

Please tell us how your rifle shoots the loads that you develop.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i am a realoder and have found that it is super cheap to reload for.$15/50 for brass, 8-13gr of powder and $18/100 for bullets or cheaper if you can find casts. I just wanted to find an estimated age znd value so i can sell it or trade it.

Posts: 115 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crout, in the range of $250, maybe a bit more if you find someone who wants a .25-20 and who appreciates the peep sight. Pricing by description alone is always iffie, but you should be able to get that much.

It ain't a rifle I would sell if I had it. Mine is in ratty condition, but with a good bore and it ain't for sale. Too useful and too much fun to ever let go of.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help and info so far. hope to hear fro more of youSmiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They don't really seem to have much collector value. You may get more for it in parts if it's in really good shape. The factory mags are quite pricey when you can find them.

Mine is beat up, has a rough bore, still shoots well and I wouldn't sell it if someone offered me $500 for it! It has way too many memories. I have used it for over 35 yrs and my dad used it for that many before me. Fun caliber to shoot and it's what got me started reloading way back when.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great rabbit and turkey gun..A terriblel deer caliber unless you use it like a 22 L.R., get close and place the shot very carefully and even then I get the impression the 22 was more effective....

I shot a Pronghorn many years ago 14 times in the chest area before he went down, after the 3rd shot my brother and I ran him down in a PU with me on the fender shooting him..In my reactionary youth I tossed that old Remington pump over a cliff! Wish now I had it back...I later acquired a Win. 92 in 32-20 and it was somewhat of a better killer I think, but wouldn't swear to it, just seemed to be. Later got a 219 Zipper in a Win lever and boy that was a killing piece of equipment in my young mind, I called it my magnum!!

The 25-20 and the 32-20 are fun guns to shoot and fun to hunt with as long as one recognizes their shortcommings...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41911 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought one of those peep sights for mine and had to pay $55. for it.

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Just for clarification, I believe you are talking about a Savage 23-C, not a 23-B.

According to my records, when the rifle was being made, it was available in 4 models, all pretty much identical except for chamber and bore specs. They were:

Savage 23, .22 LR
Savage 23-B, 22 Hornet
Savage 23-C, .25-20 repeater (not 25-20 SS)
Savage 23-D, .32-20

Anyway, they are nice old guns, and despite the cheapo trigger set-up and the nightmares if you ever have to modify them to change the barrel, are usually very nicely accurate.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is 23B but it doesn't matter. very nice looking gun and in realy good shape. so good someone made me an offer I couldn't refuseSmiler
I don't think it was right for me. I like long distance small caliber stuff or big caliber short distance stuff.

Thanks again for all the great help everyone. I love this forum dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You must have sold it without firing it. If you had fired it you would NEVER, NEVER have sold it. They are so much fun.

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
TwentyTwo, do you remeber what velocity is obtainable in a strong gun? (I want to build one, one day - after I have built my falling block hornet.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
303Guy:

Gil Sengel, in his article "Reviving the Small-Game Rifle," pp 169 - 174, in Wolfe Publishing's 2001 edition of Varmint and Small Game Rifles and Cartridges, warned "These loads are not for use in any Winchester or Marlin rifle, or other vintage firearm." Sengel used a custom rifle built on a Falling Block Works Model J action.

With those warnings clearly stated, Sengel reported velocities from 1,554 ft/sec to 1,929 ft/sec with the 87 grain Sierra spitzer, from 1,783 ft/sec to 2,151 with the 75 grain Sierra hollowpoint, and from 1,798 ft/sec to 2,292 ft/sec with the Hornady 60 grain flat-point bullet.

Sengel has some useful things to say about the details of his rifle's construction, including its chamber specifications.

Good luck with your .25-20 Winchester falling block single shot rifle project. Be sure to show us the finished rifle and how it shoots!

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crout:
It is 23B but it doesn't matter. :

You are right.Somehow I had a memory phart.

The 23 and 23-A were .22 LR
23-B was 25-20
23-C was 32-20
23-D was the Hornet.

Even though I have owned several of each, I somehow got them bass-akwards on the 25-20 and the Hornet. I went and looked them up. I apologize for not having done so before posting.

Anyway, they are a nice old rifle. The only major down side was having the action and barrel all one piece. Made it a little tough if one wanted to re-barrel. Here in the states the center-fire ones have all become sort of minor "cult" guns in the last 15-20 years, and are very readily salable. Despite the model number similarity, the center-fire models also used a slightly longer action (bolt). Later years of those same models had a somewhat better stock and a "faster" lock time.

I wish I had one in .32-20 even now. The same rifle in the "D" version was the first factory-available .22 Hornet, and was quite well liked in its day. I know there was at least one of the 23-D Hornets in use in the Edmonton area. That's where I sold mine.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not familar with the action design of the Savage 23 but is it strong enough to be rechambered to 256 Win. mag? Based upon the case dimensions is should be a simple task. I built a 256 Win. on a small BSA Martini action and, using the strong reformed 357 mag pistol brass, it has a lot more "punch" than the 25-20...plus 357 mag brass is common and cheap. AND, I just happen to have a "once used" 256 Win. PTG finish reamer for sale at a great price!

Jon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think pressures for the 25-20 peaked at about 28,000 CUP

and 256 Win mag averages 43,000 CUP

I am no expert but I'd have to pass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Crout...after reading Frank de Haas comments on the mod.23 I would'nt try it either. And, it would be tricky (but not impossible) to ream a new chamber since the receiver/barrel are one unit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got an old box of ammo for 25-20, winchester ammo i think. Have no idea where it came from. Pay shipping from Georgia and I'll give it to you. Send PM if interested

Posts: 325 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 11 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hardin, sent you a PM on the 25-20 ammo.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kelbro,

I got your PM. This ammo is a 50ct box of Western X 86 grain lubaloy. The cartridges are shiny but the box looks old. There are 33 catridges in the box. I'm sure $8 bucks would cover shipping. I'll PM you with my payment info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
kelbro,

Did you get the 25-20 ammo?

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you own a 23-D in 22 Hornet, then they are prone to develope headspace, but if you rechamber them to an Improved Hornet they won't get headspace unless of course you load them too hot, then any caliber can develope headspace....

Jack Belk made me aware of this and how to prevent the headspace problem..It works.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41911 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote