New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 Win
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would this be an effective caliber, with a premium bullet and weight of course, for hunting South Texas exotics? This would include fallow deer, axis deer and the various rams.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 243 is no pip squeek but on the other hand small bullets make smaller wounds. Therefore if something is not just right there is not as much overlap as with a more powerful round.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 243 has been a favorite of mine for a LONG time. On deer and above, your chances go way up if you limit your shots to under 300 yds. With Nolser Partitions or other premium bullets I would not hesitate to make a shot on any of the game you mention.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto to what 30378 said.

mgun
MG

One of Us
Picture of LongCarbine
posted Hide Post
I killed a cow elk this past fall with my .243. I was using Barnes X bullets, and was very pleased with the results. Previously, I've always used a .30-06 for elk hunting, but thought I'd try the .243 for a change, as it has proven itself to be a reliable rifle and I can shoot it very well. I'd agree that at long range it might not be the optimum round, but I like to keep things under 200 yards anyway. The .243 is an excellent choice in my book.

"That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable."

Posts: 125 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
Depends on how far you need to shoot and how well your gun will stabilize a bullet of adequate weight. My .243 shoots lighter bullets 70-75 gr. well enough to be effective on such animals to @250 max. But, it won't shot the 90-100 gr. bullets well enough to use them out that far. I'd try your gun at the ranges you need to hunt and see what you think. You may need more gun.

Any black buck where you're headed? I saw lots of them for the first time on a sight-seeing trip to the hill country around Fredericksburg last week. They're mighty pretty little things.
How long since it rained where you're going?

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dthfrmbv:
Would this be an effective caliber, with a premium bullet and weight of course, for hunting South Texas exotics? This would include fallow deer, axis deer and the various rams.

Not knowing any better, my son took one to South Africa and shot - kudu, blesbok, springbok, mountain reedbok with it. Works fine on anything in Texas.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, there are black buck. I shot one this past September. I'm not sure of the rain situation off-hand. I want to take a fallow deer and axis deer this time around. All shots should be under 200 yards.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30378:
The 243 has been a favorite of mine for a LONG time. On deer and above, your chances go way up if you limit your shots to under 300 yds. With Nolser Partitions or other premium bullets I would no hesitate to make a shot on any of the game you mention.

That pretty much it in a nut shell.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 243 Win is good enough to make me own three of them.

1) Remmy 600 for close work

2) Remmy 722 for a basic all around sporter

3) Remmy 700 Varmint for the long shots

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
I have found the 243 with 100gr Hornady interlocks ideal for Fallow deer.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1881 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was also looking at the 100 grain Sierra Gameking Soft Points loaded by Federal. Anyone like these?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won't shoot any factory ammo in my .243, I find it all very weak, and can easily gain 200fps with my handloads.

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook the Remington and Winchester 100 grain factory loads. They work very well on medium game. I didn't have what I would call good performance out of the 100 grain Nosler Partitions when I tried them. The Federal load you mention is very good as is the 85 grain BTHP Federal puts out. Truthfully since the 243 is designed for medium game most of the heavier bullets work fine.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 700 shoots 100gr better than the lighter bullets. That's my choice anyway.

I figure for mulies and antelope here in CO is about the max sized animals I'd ever want to shoot with it at any range.

I killed a bull elk with a .22LR when I was a kid. Pretty damned stupid, I put the .243 in the same category.

I was taught by old time elk killers to never ever use less than 30'06/180gr for elk.

Be offended if you like, this is a never ending arguement starter. Just what I was taught and all I've used because of that teaching.

Same as: "never ever shoot any game animal anywhere else than double lung shots." So far, other than doing things I shouldn't have when young and out of control, which I've long ago out grown and would never suggest to anyone.

I've never had to follow a blood trail of anything I've ever shot at. I've killed over 50 deer, 14 antelope and 13 elk so far.

Yes, I take my time, and lot's of game gets away while I'm finding a rest and "farting around" as other's have said. BUT: I've helped trail up a bunch of THEIR animals.

No arguement from me, just my experience's is all. Use it, or ignor it, your choice.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote